Moving tank??

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Evo R, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Evo R

Evo R

Hi all.

How do i move my nano from my office to the living room at home?And will the tank have to cycle agian? Tanks running almost 3 months and hassome softies and a blenny and 2 chromis in.

Any advice will be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete

Pete

Evo how far do you have to travel

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

How many litres? Post a picture including stand. Shouldnt be a problem!
    Ah, where is the office? Distance?

5. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

Plus minus 12km.

6. LuckyFish

Oops, I was under the impression your office is in the same house.
    Anyway, post a picture please.

7. PeterL

PeterL

That is where I could if I may jump onto this thread and absorb info which could pertain to both of us.
    I am not moving my tank but am replacing it with the same size, just with a surface skim drain opposed to siphon (obviously couldn't drill the existing tank in place)...

So the question has been in the back of my mind too, does the tank go through it's cycle all over again when I am taking the same water and returning it to the tank but with a 10% water change at the same time...The first impression at face value suggests to me that it should just keep on going but as if it has just ad a crazy clean up - but I am only just starting out myself too so I have no idea what the reality is of it if it is any different...

Your Tank too Evo R would have a certain disruption to it, in your case if you were to lower your water level to a certain degree and carry it (with help naturally) without removing the contents and return the water once it is in position - that shouldn't have any effect on your system.

8. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

Its 102l. Will post tomorow.Just concerned with the LR.will have to remove the LR because im scared it will fall and crack/break the tank!! But a month ago when i rescaped the rock work(LOL all 5 kg of it) the tank went into a mini cycle!

9. PeterL

PeterL

ooh, my bad, I was typing as the posts were happening, I also thought that your office was inside your house...in that case, the situation would be for you to empty it completely as is the very same thing for myself...so the results of this thread would pertain to us both. I am not moving but I might as well be seeing as though I am emptying the tank and putting everything back in - just as you are.

10. PeterL

PeterL

Bag the LR with some of the water from the tank, transport it then in a separate container and set-up the tank again when you get it to where you need it. That way if you have any coroline, it doesn't get too badly disturbed by the fresh air.

11. LuckyFish

For Evo I got in mind to move it easy abd almost full.
    Nano sounds like a cube with around 60to80 kg.
    Can you take the canop off? If yes, move the rockwork down on the gravel, take 10 litre water out, wrap the top closed with cling wrap. Put a piece of styrofoam on top, a piece of chipboard on top of the styrofoam and a bag with 5 kg sand.
    Carry the tank into the car, place it on top of an old blanket and let someone sit next to the tank to keep the bag with sand in place.
    Should be that easy if I am right with the weight and the canopy.

12. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

All the LR is 95% covered with coraline and the back of the tank has some coraline growth aswell.

My biggest concern is that,if the tank goes into a mini cycle.....will my fish and softies survive????

13. LuckyFish

Okay, in case of the higher weight, drain more water and take the rocks out.
    A thick chipboard under the tank would help.
    Feed well the week before the move and stop feeding for a few days after the move.
    Should be still managable.

14. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

Your right.Its a Boyu nano cube.Yes the canopy can be removed.If i do exactly as you said,what will happen with the substrate?Its sugarfine.And will i have die-off?

15. LuckyFish

I dont think that will be a problem at all.
    Hey, fish and corals are surviving 30 hours in a bag during transport.
    Your mobe should be done in an hour.
    You dont want to move in rush hour, do you?

16. LuckyFish

Die off? Why? I dont see a problem at all.
    For the worst case, keep water for a good water change if needed.
    I dont think you will have any problems.
    Avoid speed in bends and switch the hazard lights on.
    After the tank stands in place, let it settle a few minutes before you switch the pump on.

17. PeterL

PeterL

I can't help my curiosity but howcome the advise not to feed for a few days after the move Luckyfish?

18. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

LOL thats the one thing i dont miss!!!! (Used to live in Cape Town) I go to and from work every day in rush hour,Longest its taken me is little more than 10min:razz:
    I mean if the tank goes into cycle will the fish and softies survive???

19. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

If im not mistaken its for stress reasons.Excuse me if im wrong!

20. Pete

Pete

Evo unfortunatly you will get a mini cycle but not too bad. I would decant 50-60% of the water. the water that has been taken out is where you will put your live rock and you could also put your fish in a container with water. Make sure that before you go to the office to start the move that you have the same amount of freshly made salt water that you are going to take out the system ready for use mixed atleast 24H before the time this move will also act as a water change, try and syphon the gravel the day before also go and purchase a bottle of seachem stability to add to the tank after move. Make sure that you do not keep the rock out the water too long as you will get too much die off. Make sure the area were you want to put the tank is ready for the system eg plugs, space as you do not want to get there and have to find a space or a plug and have to move things around. Then off you go to the office. load all the extra goodies you need, only then shut down the system put water in containers for live rock and live stock. Remove the rock first and put straight into water. then catch fish add a battery opperated air pump. No do not stop to have a beer here. You and a budy or two load the tank and stand, then load fish and rock and home we go. Take fish and rock inside and then move the tank in. You should still have water in tank so put your live rock back and add some of the clean water try and get your clean water and tank water to around the same temp and add the fish. put system back on. only now do you play around with the lights and so on Ooops almost forgot add stability

21. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

Cool makes sense.Thanks for all the advice guys!!!!!

Recent Posts