Moving tank long distance

Discussion in 'New Members' started by desiree, 31 Aug 2016.

1. desiree

desiree

Has anybody moved their tank successfully long distance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

How far are you moving it?

4. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

From Lanseria to Margate.
    And from what I could find the neatest marine shop is in Amanzimtoti.

5. 459b

What size tank is it? Cost of moving can often be higher than buying a new tank. But if the tank is crated and packed properly, the distance isnt really a problem.

6. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

It is a 200 liter cube. And I agree it is cheaper to rather buy new tank and start over that is what my husband wants me to do that, but it takes so long to start over again.
    This tank is only 8 month old so yes I am scared it is not mature enough if something should go wrong.

7. 459b

Moving a tank is basically like starting fresh anyway casue youll have to unpack all livestock, rock etc etc.
    If i was you, id get a quote for a new tank in Margate and compare to price of having the tank shipped.

8. Awvince

Awvince Here fishie fishie

Are you moving the tank only or is it stocked?

Are you planning on moving it on your own or hiring a transporting company to do the move?

9. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

I know its takes time to start a new tank but its probably a better idea. If something does go wrong its more of a risk to try and recover from that.
    I would sell off the livestock and keep the hardware to setup again.

10. PeterAmos

PeterAmos

A 200 litre cube should be easy enough to move. I've moved large tanks from a fair distance without any loss. No ways getting new would be cheaper unless someone is charging you to do the move. Put the fish in one 20 litre bucket with a lid (unless you have like 30), put an air pipe through the lid with an air stone and attach a battery air pump, same for corals only you might need to split them up. Live rock bucket with tank water. Use your tank water. Leave the sand and filter in the tank with a small amount of water, enough to keep the sand submerged. Place on polystyrene and old mattress. Pace so it cant hit something and drive. Reassemble at the other side. using old water. Only new water to top up. One bakkie should be more than enough. Fish and coral can go for 24 hours with water movement. Just so long as its not going to get too hot.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2016
    Awvince and r0ckf1re like this.
  11. PeterAmos

PeterAmos

There are a few more details like certain fish or corals might like their own bucket so they don't share their poison, but defiantly doable.

12. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

The tank is fully stocked but only three fish.
    I was thinking of moving it myself as the cost of movers for a 200 liter tank will probably be more than the stock.
    My concern is just the amount of time to take everything apart then the long drive and then by that time you'll be so pooped then you must put everything back. How long can they survive if not done that same day. Should the sand not be replaced with new.

13. Nico123

Nico123

I've done it from South Coast to JHB, and from Cape town to JHB. Get a polistiren box, and a battery operated air pump, chuck some tank water in the box, pack your corals in one and fish in the other, or fish and corals in one box, seal with duck tape, and seal the hole where the air pump hose goes through with prestick. The cape town trip was two days, and I lost a plate coral, and that's it. The South Coast trip was 8 hours, and I lost nothing.

Awvince likes this.
  14. Awvince

Awvince Here fishie fishie

I've moved fish from Durban to JHB, if you cant get a 12v airpump. take a jug fill it with the water from the bucket and pour from a height back into the bucket. I did not loose any fish or coral doing it this way.

With regards to the tank, make sure it is fully secured and there is nothing loose that might hit it if apply emergency breaking or something like that.

If you have a DSB, you will need to rinse the sand before putting it back into the tank.

I hope this helps

15. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

Thanks yes definitely helps as I am really scared that I might crash the tank. Everything in this hobby sounds much easier than what it is if you start doing it, have learnt this the hard way.

16. waynee

waynee

Where about in Margate you moving to? I'm in uvongo side I can always try to help you out....

17. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

My lucky day in Uvongo.
    That is very kind of you and I will take you up on that offer.
    If you can send me your no to keep that would really help then I would be able to call you should the tank break or something goes wrong. The husband is not so happy about the tank move as he is not interested in the hobby and feel it will just make the move more difficult but I would really like to take it with than start over again.

18. waynee

waynee

I will pm

19. PeterAmos

PeterAmos

you have a fully cycled system, the trick is to keep as much of it intact as possible, hence why the same water etc etc. the less new stuff you add or change the less the cycle dip should be. I wouldn't clean or replace the sand in the tank as its full of good things too.
    After you reassemble everything you run it for an hour before adding the fish and corals. I have found that adding a filter sock in the water circulation to be helpful with the stuff that is stired up.
    Its not that hard.
    DBS can be an intresting one, I have my own views on that one.

20. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

My sandbed after all the cleaning is now about 2cm deep. I only have three fish because I knew for a few month that I will be moving. I was thinking of selling the yellow tang before the move because he is the bioload of this system. I don't want to because he is used to a lot of food I feed twice a day and he gets seewead every day. No sump or skimmer. I use a caniste filter and I know a lot of people don't agree but it works for me. I also know it is a small tank so should be easier to move but with a small tank if something goes wrong it goes quickly and I know I had my 100 liter for 18 month had less problems with that tank and it took me one afternoon to crash the tank. After that I could never get the tank back to where it was.

21. PeterAmos

PeterAmos

sounds like a super easy move.

Recent Posts