moving my tank

Reaction score
hi there, just bought myself a house, im moving in tomorow, how do i move the tank, or what do i need to do thanks

Put all your livestock in bags or buckets, cover rock in wet newspaper for transport to keep moist. If you've got a bunch of anemones, corals, etc. you can float them and what they're attached to upside down in a bag by attaching it to a piece of styrofoam. Siphon out most of the water, leave a little to keep the sand covered if you can move it with it in it. Move it and set it up again. Depending on how much livestock you have you may need to be careful reintroducing cuz your bacteria levels will be way low from losing all that water. Watch your ammonia spikes, and be ready to do water changes. If you want to keep your water you could use big trash cans to transport it in then you don't have to worry as much. Or water jugs, but if you've got a lot of fish i'd save as much of the water as you can. Moving tanks is a pain--best of luck to ya buddy!

Use a big cooler box or two. Put your live rock in there and your livestock corals, softies and everything. Dont stack the rocks as they will tumble. Use as many cooler boxes you can get. They are a lot calmer when they can hide against the rock. Keep lid almost closed most of the time (small gap) and put 1 power head in cooler box.
Use as many containers you can get to keep almost all your current water. Leave sand with just enogh water over them to keep the sand stuff alive.
Put your shrimps each one in a separate small cooler box, those big enough for six pack of beer. (sorry no cold beer for you) And keep them in the dark.
Refill your tank with all your own water. Maybe a 10% water change if you got other containers to get that fresh water.
When you put the livestock back, the water temperature between the cooler boxes and the tank will be different. Acclimatize them. Put even the water in the cooler boxes back.
My brother and I moved the same tank twice within 3 months. First move we did a 50% water change, and lost some fish. Second time, kept all our own water, lost nothing.

the sump will be a 1.2 got to seio m11oo, what kind of a return pump would i need?
protein skimmer?

I moved a tank from one end of the room to the other, took SO many photos of the cool way we did it. Put the photos on the computer and deleted them from the camra, I look back and all the photo are gone not in recyle bin nothing.

Still a little unbelievable that my dad, mom and I moved a whole 350L tank with everything still in, no help at all.

Nooooo - that's new and interesting! And a 2.5 metre! WOW!

Awesome! Skimmer? At least a skimmer that truly handle 1500 litres - perhaps double..... Looks at the ReefTek TS4 or ReefOctopus DNW-250..... or perhaps even a Bubble Magis BM-260/300.....

Return pump - 3000 litre/hour LifeTech will be more than enough - you don't want to have MORE than 2 to 3 times your sump volume per hour.....

Burt - just to let you know - the BM-260 is an AWESOME AWESOME piece of machinery....... My tank's water has CLEARED up like fog in Cape Town! All in a few hours since it started working!

Back
Top Bottom