moving my tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by craig redfern, 28 Sep 2012.

1. craig redfern

craig redfern

Hello again i have just purchased my 2nd tank complete with corals and fish and was wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers and advise:) i have never done this before. another concern is the DSB is this necessary if you have a good skimmer?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Craig. I see somehow the peeps missed your thread!

It depends on what skimmer you have. No - IF the skimmer is hugely overrated, and it is a decent brand skimmer, then you do no specifically NEED a DSB. A DSB is nice in that it also helps to breed a LOT of pods to feed your fish and corals as well.

4. jacquesb

Sorry - I nearly missed your original question about moving tank.

Geez - this is a difficult thing - not impossible, but really difficult. And it does not happen overnight.

So - you will NEED to setup the new tank first (unfortunately), as you would need to cycle the water in your new tank before you can put everything into it.

Then - once your new tank is cycled, you can put all the corals, etc into the new tank. And then you can move the stuff out of your old tank into the new tank. The process takes a while to complete though.

5. mandrin

mandrin

Hi Craig,how Big Was Yr Old Tank An wat,seize The New One
    Well I Have Done This as well ,Wat i Did Was Wen I Did My Water
    Change I used the water.to add to my New Tank , as Well As Balance Of New,water Wit salt

Then I Let It Cycle For 6 Weeks, and Add Yr Live Rockthe Key
    Is Patience bud
    An U Can Add More Water From Old Tank During The 6 Weeks

Last edited: 4 Oct 2012
  6. craig redfern

craig redfern Thread Starter

its a new tank(for me) but the person i am purchasing it from has had it going for 7 or 8 months its a 300L tank and i have containers to transport most of the water +- 250L from the tank, so i am sure it will be safe to move the tank replace the water get the pumps working and then add the fish and corals a bit later??

7. jacquesb

You can try Craig. I tried doing it this way when I moved house. I lost ALL my corals, my anemone, everything. Only my fish survived.

8. Reactionut

Reactionut

Craig, i've done it twice in a year, with no losses at all, PM me ur number, easier to chat about it rather than type it out

9. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

If your not breaking down your old system. Is it possible to move new corals and fish to old tank until the new tank has cycled?

You will probably find move a sump with dsb to heavy to lift and Im sure you will get bacteria die off causing a cycle anyway. Which can possiably be managed by dosing bacteria. @RiaanP is very knowledgeable about dsb he might have some good advice for you

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. jacquesb

Any time without moving water, causes bacteria die off - in live rock, DSB, even in the water - if the water is not permanently oxygenated!

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Buying a new tank and moving it to your house is the same as what other guys have to do when the move to another house.

First thing. Anything over 200L is a full day job. No matter what.

Have at least 20% extra newly mixed salt water available at the destination.

Biggest problem is temperature drop. Actually more the difference in temperature drop. Keeping fish in cooler boxes and the live rock and rest of the water in big drums will result in a difference between the two types of containers.

I like to put the biggest pieces of live rock in the container with the fish. BUT, you must be sure that the rock cannot move, else you got sushi. The fish stress out a hell of a lot less. Move the rock, catch the fish. Put in an airstone, and almost close the lid. Place the cooler out of the way, but not where any sunlight can fall on it (else you cook your fish). Too many fish, rather use more cooler boxes.

Keep most of the water as possible. Leave the substrate in the display covered by about 20mm water.

Siphon the water out of the sump, the skimmer and return chambers can be emptied. The DSB drained to 10mm above the sand. Depending on system, then move the DSB to your bakkie or trailer. Fill it up again and put the return pump back on with water going to first chamber. Make sure the bakkie or trailer is in the shade. Load all the other things, like the cooler boxes, but this time close them properly. When all is loaded, believe me, this will be after another hour, switch off the return pump.

First thing at destination, switch on return pump. Off load everything, especially the fish as quick as possible. Get them into the shade or into the house. Place them out of the way, open up and replace airstones.

Drain the DSB again, move tank stand sump. Fill DSB. Put return pump on again flowing back to first chamber.

Fill display about 30%. Place heaters in display and get it up to the same level as the cooler boxes the fish are in. When same level, move some heaters to the sump. Place the Live rock in display, move corals. And lastly place fish in bags with water from cooler boxes. Hang the bags with clothing pegs inside the sump so that they can start to acclimatize. Rest of the water in cooler boxes must be emptied into display. Fill up display until overflow can be switched on. Move return to flow to display and get all circulation going. Heaters would still be 100% busy. Using extra heaters for the move would help a lot.

When fish are acclimatized, release them into the display.

Have a beer. Or two...

Next day do a 10% water change.

Have another beer

Last edited: 4 Oct 2012
  12. mandrin

mandrin

hi craig hows the move did u start yet
    craig wherein Durban are u @ ?

13. craig redfern

craig redfern Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise the BIG move starts next weekend:thumbup: will keep you posted and try and send a pic or 2. @ Mandrin i live in Toti. sorry 1 last question do i loose the dsb and put a good skimmer instead?

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Even if you lose half the live in the DSB, the rest will bounce back very quickly. And no The skimmer only option will not work. If you cannot move the DSB due to size, then just keep the top 3 to 4cm sand. On your other side, use new sand for the bottom 11 to 12 cm, and place the top layer you save from the old DSB on top. Yes, you will have murky water and seems like a lot of settlement. Next day just siphon that off your system. Check out my system, PlayStation 3 Rebooted - Page 2 - Marine Aquariums South Africa from post 23 onward. That was 9 weeks ago. Completely upturn that DSB, and today, you would not believe that when you see it.

Rather have even 20% biological filtration than nothing at all. Rather have one that can bounce back quickly, than starting from scratch. Remember, you will have bio-load from day one.

Recent Posts