Moving many litres of water

Reaction score
Hi All

I wish to know what you guys think regarding water movement for my set up.
I currently have 3500 litres in the actual tank i need to move.
I have 21000 litre per hour return pump and two Tunze 6201`s.I am going to get a Tunze wave box as well.
Question is should I get two more Tunze wave box extenders to go with my one new wavebox and sell both my Tunze 6201`s or would I be better off keeping the 6201`s with one wavebox?
While im here are there any other suggestions for moving lots of water?
It is a FOWLR system so main reason for water movement would be to reduce Cyano etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like you have a good system, what is it you think you need to do? the return and the tunzes must be giving you plenty of movement, maybe you need to direct them better if you feel you have insufficient flow, could you give a little run down of tank size powerhead placement etc.

I have the one return on each end of the tank,split into two outlets per down pipe.These are from my return pump.
I currently have one streamer facing each other on each side of the tank.
I dont have the wavemaker yet so unsure where I will put this.
Tank is 3.2m long by 1.2m wide by 1.1m high with a 0.9m head of water.
Will post a full run down of the tank in the near future when it is up and running again.
I had to strip the tank due to a slow leak which I have now sorted.
Now to fill it again.
Any ideas for substrate? DOnt want it getting blown away by the streamers or maybe I should go BB.

I don't know if they've been tested on a tank that size but have you seen what the vortechs can do when the controller is set to wave mode? They sort of "pulse" at the right moment and cause the "wave" to grow. They also take up practically no space at all...

Any ideas for substrate? DOnt want it getting blown away by the streamers or maybe I should go BB.
BB my friend!i've taken this road and its such a pleasure.espescially for maintanence

Go with substate BB looks ugly and i dont know if that will help with maintanence.
It will not look natural at all.

Hi Flappy - (and sorry to disagree Mekaeel) - Yeah - aragonite does look great - BUT really NOT necessary in a FOWLR tank. Playsand will be MORE THAN AMPLE. And also look REALLY AWESOME. Flappy - I think your problem is the amount of flow LOW DOWN on / or close to your substrate. You seem to have MORE than ample water flow, BUT, these pumps are most likely HIGH up in your 1.1 meter high tank. Which means that the water BARELY moves at the bottom of the substrate. I would rather perhaps suggest getting perhaps a 8000 liter per hour or even a 12000 litre per hour pump (LifeTech would do 100%), and then plumb a pipe into your tank - RIGHT LOW down close to your substrate, with T-pieces in this pipe, that the water get's pushed out via this pipe (the pipe should/could run the WHOLE length of your tank left to right or right to left. This extra water flow JUST above the current substrate will ensure that your cyano problems are a thing of the past.

I hope you understand....

BTW - do you live in Melkbosstrand perhaps? Perhaps close to or in the golf estate?

sorry to disagree Jacques
Caribsea Aragonite
1.controls Nitrate,Nitrite and Amonia
2.buffering capability helps maintain a proper ph of of 8.2 without constant addition of chemicals
3.creates a natural biological and mineralogical balance to discourage nuisance algea growth and promote healthy fish and inverts.
4.Reduces fish stress by recreating natural reef habitats.

are these not essential for Fish only should finance be an issue?

I second mekaeels last post, it would help alot but how much sand would have to go in there?

That could work. That would cost some big$$$$$!

Hi Jaques

I live in the golf estate.
Would the close loop pipe low near the substrate not blow the substrate all over?
Does anyone have a photo of a tank with Regis play sand in,want to see what colour it goes when wet.....

Thanks for all the input guys.

Hi Jaques

I live in the golf estate.
Would the close loop pipe low near the substrate not blow the substrate all over?
Does anyone have a photo of a tank with Regis play sand in,want to see what colour it goes when wet.....

Thanks for all the input guys.

Hi Flappy - Kanga just moved in there too. Perhaps you guys can meet up :)

BTW: If you either the piping of the closed loop just about 3 cm above your substrate, it will NOT blow your substrate around. Also, making the outlets flare open (become wider) the flow will become more dispersed, and this will aid in the bottom most water flow of the tank. Ensuring that cyano do not get a hold of the substrate.

speaking about Cyano bacteria and flow. Sufficient flow is required no doubt, but at the same time we cannot only rely on flow to stop Cyano.Cyano is caused through phosphates,so a good phosphate remover is an essential to ensure no Cyano and other undesiarable algeas appear.

Back
Top Bottom