Moving LR

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 7 Jan 2010.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi guys,

havent been on the forum really but belated HAPPY NEW YEAR to all !

As some know already I will be moving to CT end of the month and would like some thoughts on a few things:

I have sold most LS (what's left will probably be braught up at a later stage when my system can handle it). I am however sitting with 200 + KG's of LR, with still the odd mushroom growing on it..really one or two, and the balance of my aptasia farm :p.

Having to travel over two days, would it be worth the effort in attempting to keep the LR alive in containers with heaters & airstones (how much die off will there be), or do I kill whatever life is inside and start over, or sell it off (not keen on this option). The same goes for about 120 kg's DSB ?

I am worried as the containerss will be on the back of my bakkie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Titanse

Titanse

Rather keep it in the current water in containers... as long as there is water flow and air should be ok.... just make sure your containers are sealed... don't want funny stuff to get in there too...

As for the DSB... er... dunno you can try just water flow...???

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On the DSB, I would rather stop it, No point in trying to keep that alive over 2 days if you have trouble getting 12V pumps and spillage etc... Lot of die-off anyway. Rather restart it down in Cape Town. Will not take the sand down either, just buy another big bag play sand there, and redo the washing.

If you have the space, ja, then try it. Move it, leave the pumps, enough water just to cover the sand, have die-off, re-seed it there, and whatever did survived the trip will grow back quickly. You are going to re-cycle the tank anyway. Can even take the sand out of the sump if you cannot move it within the sump.

Your Aptasia farm will survive. :(

5. keyaam

keyaam

Why you taking two days to come to CT? I would assume its coz you bringing a load with you. Liverock should be safe if kept in water with powerhead to circulate. Try getting a 12v Bilge pump. When you arrive in CT let me know if you need some help setting up again.

6. neo

neo

what about a small inverter and running 220v p-head(or borrow one and courier it back to owner), bakkie's engine is running so battery drain not an issue and where-ever you staying over you can plug the 220v p-head into normal power, can even run a small energy saver for light if needed.

7. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbup:

@ Titanse, that was my idea as well just worried about heat koing through the Karoo :p

@ Riaan...also thought that , but will take the sand & just re-wash (saves a bit of bucks ;))

@ Keyaam, taking 2 days due to moving in & out dates, load that Im bringing, dogs cats etc :p. Thanks for the offer I will def take you up on it :)

@ have access to a inverter so that might also be an option, thanks man

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

This is awesome news mate...Cape Town is gaining another reefer...PM me if you need a hand...

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Frans
    Are you planning another last PTA reef club meeting where you can officially hand in your resignation? (what happens if we do not accept:))

10. keyaam

keyaam

What area will you be staying in?

11. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Durbanville / Brackenfell Area....more or less on the border

Yip...will post on Monay....we need to have an election :razz:

Thanks a mil riyad :thumbup:

12. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Frans, wrap the liverock in sandpaper... ;)

13. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

When I moved to PMB from KBLY I had my LR in a couple of polystyrene boxes you can get at a LFS used for livestock. I just had the rocks covered half in water. Yours might need some oxygen to keep all the goodstuff alive over 2 days.
    Good luck with the move.
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx Tobes

16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Best of luck with the move, who's taking over the PTA club? You need to get a CT club going now ;)

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Frans the move might be the best thing for you LR. It is an opportunity to scrub the aiptasia off.
    If it were me i would scrub the rocks and dig out the aiptasia. Rinse afterwards in your old salt water. Then line a Poly box with News paper (soaked in water) and then pack the LR. Cover with wet newspaper and then seal the poly box. The better the seal the better for the LR. This can be done a day or two before you move. You will need the time to organise other things.
    Yes you will have die off, it is only to be expected but it will recover in a week or two without most of the aiptasia. All the LR we get from around the world takes about 10 days from ocean to retailers curing tanks. And if you think the collecting stations take care to keep the LR wet :lol::lol: they dont care.

With regards to the DSB. It is OK to move it without disturbing the sand, but draining off most of the water. Your denitrifying bacteria will remain alive but your pod colony will be lost.

Once set up at your new location it will take a week or to to recycle.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy the lovely long summer nights, and wind :p.
    Hope your venture is successfully. :thumbup:

18. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx Nemo ! I was also thinking along those lines...especially the opportunity to get rid of my aptasia farm

Thanx viper, PTA club is a bit undecided yet...think we will do the big democratic thing and put it to a rigged vote ;) CT club...now thats an idea...

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

But we must get a last get together to cast the rigged vote...

You can store your aptasia farm until month-end in my tank. My Copperband will gladly help you out. :)

Recent Posts