Moving LR - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dikdaan, 6 Aug 2010.

1. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Hi all

My second setup has completed its cycle...I now want to move half of the LR in my first setup to the second. I will replace the Lr removed with base rock and bio rock.

What will the effects be on my current system and how should I go bout moving the LR?? All at once or bit every week?

Thx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

Rather go bit every week because if the LR comes in contact with air you might get some die-off and together with a huge increasement of LR in the new setup you might "shock" your system witch may result in a mini cycle.

4. greenie

greenie

I am worried now. If I moved live rock from my tank - let's say it was out of the water for 1 minute - so by the time putting it back all the good bacteria are gone? Can I then just as well through the rock away in the dustbin?

5. FransSny

FransSny

No greenie , no need for that ! Its not that serious, unless you can get both tanks the same in terms of paramaters there will always be a bit of die off, which MAY kickstart a mini cycle ( I have just one tank over to another and after two weeks no ill effects.)

The aim is to keep the LR submerged as long as possible (that way O2 sensitive creatures will survive , ideally submerged for the whole "trip" would be best IMHO

6. Evo R

Evo R

A min or 2 wont harm the LR that bad that you need to throw it away!
    How far are the tanks apart?(distance)
    If its from one building to another,use clean buckets with tank water.And if its from one room to another,just use a cooler box and stack it full and quickly carry it to the other tank and put all the LR in the new tank.

Simple;)

7. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Its from the first to the second setup. They are next to each other and the LR will be out of the water for no more than 5 seconds...Will this still have an effect on the LR?

8. greenie

greenie

I thanks for the feedback. Did I read somewhere that Nutrafin Cycle will/can also add the good bacteria to your tank or can it only be added by means of live rock?

9. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Another question to add to the previous one is: Do the lights need to remain off after the move as there will be a small cycle?

Recent Posts