Moving Livestock over to Bigger tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kunhardt, 14 Sep 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I have read old posts by members who have moved livestock straight across from their old systems to their new ones without problems. I will be needing to do the same once my new tank is completed since I will be using 90% of the rock from my old system plus I will be needing most of the important equipment such as return pumps to get it going.

Do you think there is going to be a problem moving my livestock from a 200L system to the new 600L one? I was told by my LFS that in theory there is enough bacteria in my current system to sustain my current livestock therefore there if I move my rocks, 50% of my water and my substrate across to the new tank it should sustain them there without problems. This does make sense to me, but I am still worried about ammonia spikes etc from having to add new rocks, new substrate, new DSB and from the old stuff as well having being moved.

I plan on using some Stability and Bio Digest to help with the process, however will this not cause problems down the line?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Kumhardt, I did this recently. Used water as I did WC to get the system started.

Started with sand & water, seeded with DSB sand and let it run for a while. Move over some rock etc...

4. Tony

Tony

I cant see the problem. I've done this a few times. Just make sure you have enough water to fill the tank and try and use as much of your old water as possible. The old substrate will cloud your water when you move it making it difficuilt to rescape your tank and you don't need to move it if you want. Start with fresh substrate if you want. You can add some bacteria to help with the mini cycle but all should be OK.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Will you move over to a new DSB in the same action?

If you can keep old DSB connected for 2-3 months, that will be super.

Keep new LR in old tank and cycle it there with just one circulation pump. Then after 2-3 months you can add the new cured LR to big system, removed old DSB, re-landscape, and from then you should be able to increase lifestock.

Your current LR should be able to handle current stock levels. Just move the rock inside a container under water from old to new tank. So that sponges do not get an air attack. If possible.

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did think about moving stuff across slowly but the problem is equipment, I dont really have enough to sustain 2 tanks at once.

Cool Tony, I am going to try move across 100L of the 200L from the old tank and if its not necessary to move across the old substrate I wont, was thinking of moving it for its bacteria and critters. A mini cycle I can handle its a big ammonia spike that I would be dredding and losing any livestock.

Riaan yes I was planning on moving over to the new DSB in one action. But plan to use livesand as I did with the old one to give it a bit of a jump start. I have some rocks already in a drum circulating in my garage am also getting some more liverock this week so hopefully it will be good to go by the time the tank is ready to be setup.

Recent Posts