Moving in a month or 2.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pXius, 24 Jul 2011.

1. pXius

pXius

So there's a rather large possibility that I'll be moving into a new place in a month or 2, which is great as I'll have some extra rooms (maybe even a dedicated Aquarium room :D )

Anyway, instead of moving my tank I was thinking of maybe going a bit bigger.

Currently my tank is 1.5x70(high)x50(wide)

I was thinking of getting a new tank along the lines of 1.5x60(high)x70(wide).

This way I could set up the tank, a day or 2 before I move, I could then also use all my current H2o and a few extra liters fresh to top off what I cant fill.

My only real concern is that my current in tank substrate is playsand, in affect a "in tank dsb".

I will be using new substrate in the new tank along with my old sump setup (live rock and np pellets).

I'm a bit worried about a nitrat/tri/amonia spike should I move and loose the in tank dsb.

I could set up an extra reactor or 2 and run some media, and even maybe some of those new ammonia stones. I don't want to kick start a new cycle.

Any advice?

Last edited: 24 Jul 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Fanie by disturbing the sand bed you will loose the DSB, all i can suggest is starting it new in the new system if you really want it in there..

i think it would be very hard work to move a tank of that size with sand in it.. it would be very heavy..

the best i can suggest is keep everything from the old system and transfer across to the new, and gradually over time deepen the bed .. or start from fresh..

4. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Thanks!

I'm thinking of just starting a new tank with my old water/LR but with new substrate, I've takin a liking to the black substrate.. :p

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you are talking about an in-tank DSB? how deep do you have?
    is this picture you posted from your tank?
    [​IMG]
    If yes, that is not a DSB.
    And there should be no real problem in moving that sand. Just keep the temperature stable.

And yes, nice aptasia.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2011
  6. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Thats great news, so it'll just be a bit of stress on the ls, will try to do it overnight :thumbup:

Recent Posts