Moving in a couple of months

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JD167, 30 Jan 2009.

1. JD167

JD167

I'll be moving in about 5 months time and I want to start planning this move.

I'm concerned about nitrate spikes and creating another cycle when moving the substrate in the tank and also the sump with the DSB. I want to use as much of the water as possible.

I won't be able to move the sump WITH the DSB unless I slide the entire sump on to a board and carry the whole thing as is(excl water obviously). I'm just scared this might not be enough and that the sump will crack. The safest bet I think is to remove the DSB and then move everything. Putting it all back will more than likely cause another cycle.

I'll be building a new DT at the new place and it will be ready by the time I move. My second concern is do I use the substrate from my current system(prolonging the move that day and more than likely cause another cycle) or do I add new substrate to the tank and maybe add some of the old sand? The latter seems the logical choice.

Looking forward to some suggestions.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

You not going get away from mini cycles. As you move the rock, it will start.

I would suggest using existing substrate, keep it wet in transit. All the rock should be blasted in the old water, once all inmates are out. Chuck out the old water.

Make new water (100% WC) for the tank on the other side, make sure it is the same parameters (Ph, Alk, Temp) as the old water.

Going be difficult to keep the DSB running if you empty it, so it will take a couple of weeks/months to kick in again. While you wait, you will have to increase your WC regime.

Cleaning the rock is going be the most important chore to keep the cycle to a minimum.

Keep everything wet, to minimize die-off.

And lastly, expect the odd in-mate to pass on, it is very difficult to have a completely 100% successful tank move.

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I have moved a few tanks, the fact that you have the chance of building a display will help.

Firstly i would get the display tank half filled with new water, then syphon off half the old tank water (or enough to fill the new tank - you may need to shift the percentages but save as much of the old water as you can, leaving about 30% of the old water in the old tank.) also add a new sand layer for the substrate in you new tank.

Then take all the livestock etc and either bag them or put them in buckets of the old tank water you saved then, as you remove the rocks shake them in the tank to remove as much detritus as possible, keep them in buckets/poly boxes covered in wet newspaper and be ready to shift. with the DSB keep 20% then be ready to lose the rest along with your substrate, it collects too much detritus and it is that which will give you the nasty spikes.

When you get to your new place, add any old water you can spare to the new system, then float the fish and get the live rock in (you may need to top up with new water) get everything ready, introduce the fish and leave the lights off, the next day you can aquascape, then when things settle you can slowly add a new DSB.

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

6. JD167

JD167 Thread Starter

Excellent article Shaun. Thanks.

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

You should click on the "links" on the Home page, you will be surprised with the info you will find there.

Recent Posts