Moving Day coming soon...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by chas84, 28 Jun 2011.

1. chas84

chas84

I've been dreading this since the day I went to collect my new setup in Pietersburg and cart it all to Pretoria. I'm moving at the end of July (only about 6km or so from where I'm staying now), and need some advice on my ideas below. When I bought the setup there was no livestock to worry about (other than tons of liverock, hermits, zoas a Mantis and a Pistol shrimp). It's a 6-foot 10mm on cabinet, with 250kg liverock and almost 300kg sand.

Here's my idea:

Empty all the water into 200l containers.
    Pack liverock and corals into large cooler boxes with heater and airstone.
    Keep fish in a 100l plastic container with heater and airstone.
    Pack all equipment into boxes.
    Get the moving guys to load everything and deliver to the new house, and start setting it up again.

:thumbup:

This all sounds simple, but I'm very concerned about "dismantling" the whole system. I have an in tank DSB that consists of just under 300kg fine sand. Firstly to remove it will be a mess, and I know disturbing a DSB of any sort is not a good thing and will cause my tank to go into cycle mode again.

My main concern is the fish and corals. Would it be better for me to rather sell them and then "start from scratch", or do i stand a fair chance in setting up at the new house and a reasonable expectation things will be ok? If I sell the fish I should get what I paid for them, and possibly same for the corals, but I am thinking of keeping the corals in my nano if needs be.

I do have a Bouyo TL550 (130l) that is "easyish" to move without disturbing the sand.

I'm going to take this opportunity now to get a 4-foot sump - so anyone have a bargain please let me know ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintonv

Quintonv

Sterkte my advies:eek:

4. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

:) Ek sien uit na 'n groter huis maar hel om nou eers al's weer gesettle te kry gaan 'n mission wees!

5. Evo R

Evo R

Why not setup a small cheap setup at a friends house.Move your fish and corals over.Set your tank up again and then slowly over a month or two reintroduce your LS to your big tank again.

6. Annoying

Annoying

Never done this before but maybe this could work. The main problem would be that the DSB when moved will cause a complete cycle. Maybe (this is extreme and just an opinion) you should clean the entire sump, wash the sand and move everything seperate but just keep a few kg's to reseed. When the tank is started the live rock will cause a mini cycle but this can easily be overcome with heavy skimming. Start the tank add the fish and corals and then slowl add the dsb back so that it can start from scratch. Your tank will get new algae blooms but water changes and good filtering with anti-phosphate and other filter materials can help a lot.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

It is easier to put some live rock with the fish in the cooler box. They stress less, in a more "natural" environment. Just use your biggest pieces and pack it securely, so that you do not make sushi of a fish. Biggest issue is temperature drop.

How many fish do you have?

When you moving? I might be able to help out with temp housing for your fish. You got my number, phone me. As long as its next week, then I'm able and have time to help.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope, not an issue. Drain enough water to just cover the sand. Move sump to trailer / bakkie using strong support under it, like a stretcher / draagbaar.

Fill it up again on the trailer. Use your return pump to pump water from return to first chamber. And fit the heater. While you are in the house doing the tank. Before the big trek, drain again to just cover the sand. At destination, move it, fill it and connect it up again - return to first chamber. Longest time it will be without proper water movement will be while you move it, or while you are driving. DSB will not crash. Even if 20% do die off, you do not start a DSB from scratch. There is enough living organisms to be able to consume the dead bodies quickly.
    Biggest problem is possible overheating / cooling while you transport the sump. Due to the sun baking it, or the wind cooling it down too much. So cover it.

Might even be worthwhile to do 2 trips. First move the sump, get it up temp at destination, then move your tank and stand.

Its a lot of work. And a very long day.
    Have enough :peroni: in another cooler box.

9. AndrévN

AndrévN

Just a question here Riaan would it really make a difference. When we buy live carib arag it is sealed in a packet and is cold, would this be different for interest sake. As we chuck the bag contents into our sumps and they say all critters is in there though.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Interesting question.
    But if its alive, then it should be acclimatized as all other live stock.

From cooling / overheating, is from moving the sump out and only re-connecting it a couple of hours later. And on the back of the bakkie, with wind exposure (winter) or standing in the sun (summer) yes, that could be a problem.

Another thing to ponder. What is better?

• Having a DSB "crash" where you loose 50% of the live in it due to the tank move.
    • Or starting with a fresh new DSB?
    Remember, it is a tank with live stock. And you need the DSB to be back in action as fast as possible. Do you have the patience to let it mature for 3 to 6 months? Or is the DSB with 50% of what it had not already half way down the timeline? Also the "crashed" DSB, will have a lot of dead bodies, but also a lot of life, ready to consume their fallen comrades. So you should have one enormous life explosion, as long as there is dead bacteria. But that population growth should fall back, see-saw until it reach the previous equilibrium. So how fast will that road to recovery be? In my opinion, a lot faster than starting a DSB from nothing.

PLEASE NOTE, if you do move your DSB, unsettle it that much, dig the complete thing up, do not have the sump in circulation with the main display. Re-direct the return directly back to skimmer. Extra heater in display and have the skimmer on. So any sulphur or other nasties released will not kill your fish, and can be sorted by the skimmer and time. Another day or two when sump parameters settle back down (if it was out), only then re-connect it. If you have sufficient live rock in your tank, then it should be able to handle the 2 days without sump.

I done this, and reconnected it the next morning. No impact. Only weird thing was a PH spike upwards 5 days later (that nobody can explain). Just as precaution, check your parameters everyday for the next week (at least) and have extra SW ready on standby in case you need to do water changes. Needed it when I got the PH spike.

11. AndrévN

AndrévN

Well explained thanks. And as for the patience for having it settle or mature over six months HELL NO, there is better ways of shortening this IF your experienced enough.
    In my case i think ill opt for this, and it would be safest for my tank i think - dig the complete thing up, do not have the sump in circulation with the main display.
    Ill rather wash this extremely well and buy another bag of live sand to mix into this and have it settle this way before i reconnect it. But yes on a small trip like his i think your explanation makes sence.

Thanks again. ;)

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No need, you know some live will die anyway due to the transplant, why kill more?
    Maybe a single rinse in saltwater, to wash out sulphur. But other than that, I will not go out of my way to rinse or wash the sand. You need the bacteria that are clinging to the sand, to stay there.

13. AndrévN

AndrévN

Now thats something i didnt know, thought i had to completely wash the stuff to get the sulphur removed and to make sure it is no longer present. So ill just rinse it slightly as im planning on making my sump longer, wider but shallower with the new build. ;)

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As I got it, if there is sulphur build up, then it is caught up gases. If you get a rotten egg smell, that is it. Should be gasses escaping the disturbed sand.

Nobody else wanting to comment... ?

15. AndrévN

AndrévN

Ill have a look if i cannot find something in my gasses and gas testing paperwork and from there ill follow up. If i do find something ill also post it here. ;)

16. Quintonv

Quintonv

And how did the move go?

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

Still 2 more weeks

18. Quintonv

Quintonv

Uh oops, its been a long day:blush:

19. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice and offers for help! I'm glad to say the move has been postponed indefinitely...

20. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Ok, so the new house purchase has gone through... I can't wait to move but I'm really not looking forward to moving my tank. Moving day is 31 October, but might happen earlier.

I'm looking for the following secondhand items to buy (At very good prices please, just had to fork out a huge amount of cash for the deposit, transfer, etc.):

1 x 4-foot tank (I want to use as a temp setup then convert to a proper sump with a decent DSB.
    2 or 4 x 250l Plastic drums (To move the water. I'll then use two of them afterwards for mixing salt water)

I'll place an ad in the wanted section s well.

Recent Posts