Moving Center Braces in tank

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have two stips of glass bracing my four foot in the centre. they are quite wide, in total about 15-20cms wide. so it cuts out quite a bit of light no to mention the fact that they are extremely irritating when i'm tryin to do maintenance. I want to move them out to the ends of the tank euro-bracing style. was thinking of moving one, getting it settled, wait a couple of hours/days and then move the other. Anyone got any experience on this? any suggestions?

Let me see if I have this straight, you have 75mm - 100m braces in the centre of your tank, and nothing on the sides?

Something like this?

6548f500adbba68.png

Hi scubaninja

It all sounds a bit risky to me.

I drill my tank with 50% of my water still in the tank and look what it got me.

No tank, fish, live rock and one hell of a clean up.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Try having 2 new braces cut and silicone them in place first, then remove the old braces.

Remember "if it isn't broken don't try to fix it."

PS. cool drawing there Kanga

Something like this?

6548f500adbba68.png
no euro bracin on the front and back at all, and the two pieces are together in the centre.

i know it aint broke but its seriously cutting out a wack of light from my t5s, with MH i wouldnt bother but i'm only ever goin to be using T5s, so i need to do something.

i am a bit worried about something going wrong, hence me asking first. i want to put euro bracing in, what if i put a clamp/vise type thing in place to do the job of the two strips and put my euro bracing in place then place the strips? if the vice type thing is holding doing the job of the strips wouldnt my risk be lower?

Is the tank empty? if mot it would be better to have it empty so there is no pressure on the glass, then add the eurobracing and move your original braces towards the ends of the tank.

Scuba please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is the 2 braces attached to the displays glass directly (+/- 6mm bonding surface).

If so I'm not sure how much structural strength the braces offer, but will give a guy I

know a call and get back to you ASAP.

Definately put two braces along the front, under the old braces. Put two new one along the side too. Then cut off the old ones.

Good luck, altering old tanks is never the greatest idea, maybe live with what you got?

nah, i want to move it if its possible, the braces are really in the wrong place for me. they are bracin the top and obstructing me puttin in eurobraces along the back and front, so what i want to do is brace it with a vice and then move then

Back
Top Bottom