Moving a tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Maddy, 28 Feb 2014.

1. Maddy

Maddy

Hi guys. Need some advice. We are renovating our house which means I have to move my tank to a room where no dirt etc will get to it, and it has to move as the tiles are being replaced. This is a big worry. Its 1200x60x60 as well as sump etc etc. Want the move to be as little stress as possible to the fish and anemone etc. Will obviously empty sump and so on, but is it safe to leave just enough water to cover fish and my anemone? Will obviously lower all high live rock and corals just to cover them. I know water puts a lot of pressure on the glass, but even just enough to cover fish? Thought of then lifting it onto a carpet (have a lot of hands that will help) and literally pulling it to the next room? Need advice please? This will be in about 2 weeks time.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Dont pick up a tank with rock or water in it. Although it looks like a little, it weighs alot and you do risk cracking the tank.
    Best bet is to move all inhabitants to containers (with heaters/flow/etc), empty tank, move, set up, allow tank to settle then add livestock back.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

In your tank, even just 10cm of water will be 72L, so over 72KG, add the weight of the glass, stand, wet substrate and rocks and it will be heavy. Plus you do not want a rock fall to make sushi out of your fish.

What are the sizes of the fish? Can they go in just 10cm of water?

Best is to remove all the rocks, corals and fish. Move the tank and re-set it up in the other room.

5. sniper

sniper

I recently moved my 2m tank and I agree with what the two mods have said , you need to remove your livestock and water. I removed all the water, liverock and livestock. I left all the sand in the tank though. The only lesson learnt from the move is that you need to have salt water prepared in advance (just in case you lose some water during the move) and if you have a trolley to move the tank, life will be way easier for you. Lastly start moving in the morning because chance are the process will take you longer than you expect. Apart from that if you have the manpower it is not going to be as complicated.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2014
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, somehow you will have less water after the move

Yes, it will take longer.

@Maddy
    Where in Pretoria are you?

7. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Thanx guys. I'm in Waverley. So scared its too stressful for the fish? The biggest is the yellow tang, the rest are smaller. Not looking forward to this, and then when renovation is finished it all has to go back :(

Recent Posts