Most brutal Documentary Ever!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dewald@Dorry, 6 Sep 2010.

1. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Hi fellow Reefers..

Last night my wife hired me a Sunday movie as usual.., well this movie was not that usual as I noticed it was a documentary about dolphin slaughtering in China.

"The Cove"

The Chinese basically chase thousands of dolphins using metal banging noises into the bay then trap them using nets. They are then left there until the next morning where companies all over the world come to buy some of the dolphins for their "Dolphin Show" facilities at $150 000 per dolphin.

Once the companies leave, the Chinese kill the rest. Usually only about 10 dolphins are sold per month. The thousands that are left are brutally killed using sharp sticks!!:cursing::banghead::censored:

The Americans have been trying for years to get photo material of these acts, but are banned from entering these sites.

This was by far the MOST horrifying documentary I’ve seen in my entire live! I literally started crying when you could hear how the dolphins tried fighting for their lifes while being killed. What made this even worse is the fact that the killings was done brutally by letting the dolphins die slowly in their own blood.:dft004::y1::y8:

I decided that we as Dorry Pets will help to do something about this. It looks like "Lions Gate" has sponsored the movie to get the word out and have even removed the copy protection on the DVD's. I have copied this movie and will be handing these out to our clients to help get the message out there about what the Chinese are doing to the MOST intelligent creatures on our planet!

Please go and rent this movie from your local video store and get the message out there. It seems that the IWC are all talk and no action!!!!:y14::035:

For those of you that have seen this movie, please share your thought about what we can do as fellow reefers???

Last edited: 6 Sep 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

4. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

yeah it was a hectic documentry.....
    however that was done years back and since animal rights activist's have
    investigated the matter.
    i believe goverment did become involved and restrictions were put in place.

this happened annually before the documentry came out.......frightning

these topics are always hard to swollow, but its great the initial investigating story gets told to make the relavent associations aware so that they can handle it.

whats even more sickening than that is fishing by catches......

planet ocean disc three shows deep sea trawlers trawling the deep bottom of the ocean taking and killing tons and tons of marine life (not only fish....corals awell)
    the problem is they only fish for a particular type of fish.......the rest (corals, sharks, dolphins, fish, shrimps etc etc just ket killed during the catch and are all just thrown over board........so like they throw 90 % away and keep 10%.....hectic

on the particular doc. im talking about, a gorgonian croal estimated to be hundreds of years old (had a stem thicker than 20cm just got dredged up and killed.

all in the name of fishing.......

again we can go on and on.....but and make ourselves mad......at least the stories get shown to us so that goverments jump in and build fish farms etc etc.

get your hands on the discs.....you will enjoy them

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Just a correction, I believe "the Cove" is in Japan as opposed to China

6. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

johan....you typed quicker than me....lol i was trying to find the evidence for my post.....shotto;)

7. Johan van Aardt

8. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

I saw something about this on carte blanche a few years back, they guys just slit the dolphings throat, the sound it made while it was dying and the look it had in its eyes was so disturbing

9. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Personally, it is hectic. My only problem, and this is similar to what The Waterboy - Marco said above, is that the only reason The Cove is so shocking to most people is because it revolves around dolphins. Same reason that dolphins get more sympathy than other marine life is that people try to "Humanise" them. They look like they are smiling (their mouths curl upwards - HAPPY, instead of downwards like sharks - ANGRY), and they have vocal abilities. What about the "socially acceptable" killings mentioned by The Waterboy - Marco? Imagine if anchovies "screamed", what a trawl net of 50tons would sound like on the deck of a trawler. Hell, we would be eating tinned panda by now if that was the case!

10. seank

seank

Tried all our local video shops, none of them heard about this video. When asked if they can order it- their response was: we do not keep documentaries:(

11. Johan van Aardt

ill send you a copy sean, pm me your address

12. seank

seank

Thank you Johan

13. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i have another documentry which only a few clients of mine have been able to see.......(it will remain un-named)

it shows over 150 tons of tuna being netted........in one go.......
    its the first time its ever been filmed ......and its filmed from inside the net.....in full HD......hectic

14. Junz

Junz

Marco , can you hook us up ?

15. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

with what?;)

16. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry Thread Starter

I think allot more efford needs to be made in terms of harvesting the remaining resources in the sea.

If we "Humans" keep on extracting the amount of marine fish for eating at the pase we are doing now, all fish like tuna, hake etc. will be gone in 38 years time!!!:nono:

This is a scary statistic!! I really think with today's technology we as humans can do more to try and breed some of the high demand fish species ourselves without impacting the resources in the ocean..

And I guess it starts with us (me). Always look at what you are bying from your supermarket. Go read up on the fish and it's live span capabilities. Most fish like yellow tail tuna take up to 25 years to reach maturity. Even crayfish take up to 20 years to reach eatable size. These species take forever to grow and can not keep up with the rate we are consuming and extracting from the ocean..

It would be good to research other alternatives to fish only for omega fatty acid foods as a main source of food.. This documentry really made me think. I can not imagine an entire ocean full of life to be driven to extinction unless we as humans do something about it NOW.

Sjoe..., I know this is deep, but think that all "we" (Passionate Reefers) can make a difference one step at a time..

17. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Ohhh shame shame, just reading the post I can sense how horrible it must be..I'll certainly try to get the DVD...........

18. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry Thread Starter

I'm so releaved!!!!:thumbup:

But I still wonder what goes on when the media is not there!:nono:

19. seank

seank

http://www.wwfsassi.co.za/?m=7&s=3

http://www.wwfsassi.co.za/backend/media/Fri29Aug2008084952/SASSIBusinessGuide.pdf

20. seank

seank

RED FISH : WWF SASSI

http://www.wwfsassi.co.za/backend/media/Fri29Aug2008084952/SASSIBusinessGuide.pdf

21. seank

seank

Recent Posts