Morning sun on the tank - good/bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 18 Aug 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi

I have a possible postition to place my new tank in. It would be nicely tucked into a corner, right next to my favorite chair in the house, so I would be able to spend hours enjoying the two things I like most (except spending time with the kids of course...;))

Anyway, I have sat on that same chair this weekend, from early morning (thanx to those same kids I mentioned earlier:lol:), and wathced then watched the sun rise.

I realised I would be getting about an hours direct sunlight each morning on the tank, over the entire length of the tank. I think this is good but just want to run it by you guys first.

My photosynthesis periods are planned as follows:

Suppl Lights on at 11h00 (Actinics basically)
    Main lights on at 13h00 (MH or T5 whites)
    Main lights off at 17h00
    LED moonlights on at 18h00
    Suppl Lights off at 21h00
    LED moonlights on through the night (varying some nights)

Would this work or must the photo-period be shorter if I have direct sunlight. Also, how would direct sunlight affect the heat if it was shining on the tank for about an hour in the morning. I saw it is from about 6:45 to 7:45

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Personally i think this is a good thing... I really doubt that you would see any significant increase in temp. I wouls maybe bring the suppl linghts on when the last of the sunlight left the tank.... just so that your tank does not wake up and then have to go to sleep if you know what i am trying to say !

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

My tank receives about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight daily. I would say it is good as I noticed some of the new growth tips, pointing towards the direction the sunlight comes from. So I would just leave it where it is :)

5. Tony

Tony

I would say it's a good thing. I wish I could get more direct sun for my tank

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Great, thanks guys. :) And yes Neil, I also thought about this waking up and sleeping issue. One thing I have noticed, is that even if the direct light does go away, I have huge refflection from the white tile "stoep", that is almost blinding too...

So I think I might just give it a try, see if the corals goes to sleep again after the direct light is gone. If so, I'll just switch the lights on earlier, to bridge the gap there...;)

Recent Posts