Morne's Nano

mornewil

Morne
Reaction score
Hi Reefers

Im starting my boyu tonight. Transferring stock from my 1.5m tank.
So heres what i have planned.

The obvious is removing standard bio balls ceramic rings sponges etc.

1st compartment - Build a stand with eggcrate & stuff filter floss on top.
2nd - Skimmer is sitting there and thats where im leaving it.
3rd - Pack halfway with nice pieces of liverock & put chemi - pure & phosguard on top.
4th - my heater and return pump will remain, maybe add a float switch in future for auto top ups.

Im then going to drain 50 litres of my existing tank water & fill boyu halfway.
I will be filling it up with freshly mixed saltwater.
Then take some aragonite out of my existing tank, rinse it nicely & put it boyu, then add
a cup from my existing tank to seed my sand bed.
Switch on pumps and everything & let it run for a day.
Will dose some stability just for safety.

Tomorrow night i would like to start scaping with liverock from my 1.5m tank & move my black clowns & clean up crew.

My questions are:

Is this way of transferring stock ok.
What is the best pump to put in the boyu for sufficient flow?
How often do i do water changes?
Would i be able to keep soft corals & lps with the standard lights?
And lastly should i get me a chiller for those hot summer days? I saw mini aquarium chillers by Sams thats rated to 300L selling for R1000.

Thanks in advance
Morne

Hi Reefers

Im starting my boyu tonight. Transferring stock from my 1.5m tank.
So heres what i have planned.

The obvious is removing standard bio balls ceramic rings sponges etc.

1st compartment - Build a stand with eggcrate & stuff filter floss on top.
2nd - Skimmer is sitting there and thats where im leaving it.
3rd - Pack halfway with nice pieces of liverock & put chemi - pure & phosguard on top.(im not a big fan of the live rock in those small compartments as there is not sufficiant flow and you will land up with a detritus build up,even though youve got filter floss some detritus will filter through)
4th - my heater and return pump will remain, maybe add a float switch in future for auto top ups. (think of moving the heater to compartment one as the water there will always stay at the same level,water in the last chamber will drop due to evaporation and you stand a chance of exposing your heater)

Im then going to drain 50 litres of my existing tank water & fill boyu halfway.
I will be filling it up with freshly mixed saltwater.
Then take some aragonite out of my existing tank, rinse it nicely & put it boyu, then adda cup from my existing tank to seed my sand bed.(i wouldnt bother rinsing it,rather use all of the live sand)
Switch on pumps and everything & let it run for a day.
Will dose some stability just for safety.

Tomorrow night i would like to start scaping with liverock from my 1.5m tank & move my black clowns & clean up crew.

My questions are:

Is this way of transferring stock ok.
What is the best pump to put in the boyu for sufficient flow?(im using tunze and Im very impressed)
How often do i do water changes?(15-20l once a week)
Would i be able to keep soft corals & lps with the standard lights?(most soft corals and some lps)
And lastly should i get me a chiller for those hot summer days? I saw mini aquarium chillers by Sams thats rated to 300L selling for R1000.

Thanks in advance
Morne

this is just my 2c and might work for you but not as well as for me.
welcome to masa

Some good advice. Will definetly move the heater. Liverock i will reconsider.
The sand im just bit worried that the die off in sand will cause a cycle.
Tell me how does the tunze cost? and how much are you using?

Im using 2 tunze nano streams + 1 seio(1000l/h).cant remember how much I paid for them tunzes. Seio's are good to start off with as they not expensive(R250) per powerhead and they do a good job.

I think charls advice is very good, I would also move the heater and take out the live rock.
How long has the tank been running?
I think the best pump is what you can afford, I just bought a vortech mp10 and it works great but they cost a lot. The tunze aren't cheap either, but also very good and I think the nano streams are going for between R800 and R1200. Heres there site Aqua Africa
I started out with a sunsun and seio and neither of them gave me any problem, except for the sunsuns suction cups getting old.

I do water changes once a week 15%.
The standard light are ok to start with and you can always add another PL tube or some leds later.

Cool guys i settled for 2 Seio 1200lph's. Will upgrade in future. Tank is up with some liverock.
Will start scaping tonight, will post some pics. How much live rock do you guys put in these tanks?

Ive got about 17 kilos of crap live rock in mine. It all depends on the live rock you get,some is heavy and not porous and others are light and very porous. I will go with light and very porous. smaller pieces that you can easily scape with. do some research and check out different scaping ideas and then invest in the best live rock that you can afford. I personally like fiji live rock as you can do(scape) quite a alot with it. but if I could rebuy my live rock I will buy small,very porous live rock. You also dont want large pieces of live rock laying on other live pieces of live rock as that will create dead spots.also scape so you can see that there is no dead spots where detritus can easily settle. open scaping is better in my honest opinion.

I think its time some pics?

I have about 20kgs in mine, I would say as much as you can fit without creating dead spots.
If you do your scaping nicely you can really fit a lot of LR in there.

50664fb6937d495c7.jpg

1st attempt at scaping

Looks good, just a bit unstable.

Very nice.
I think the clam is going to need more light maybe put it a bit higher up if you can.

Back
Top Bottom