Moray troubles

Reaction score
Hi all

First, a note to the mods - this isn't a classifieds or for sale thread. I understand that my post count is not high enough to post in the classifieds section, but this thread isn't an attempt to work around that. I just need some help.

Alright, onto the issue. At the moment I have 4 different species of moray, all of a (relatively) small size. They are all wild caught, from the general Durban.Umdolti/Ballito area.

The problem is that I'm getting shipped off to university next year, and the parents aren't willing to take care of them, partially out of fear of being bitten and partially out of fear that they'll accidentally kill them, because they're inexperienced in fishkeeping.

The thing is, I have no idea what to do with them. I have put them up on other forums' classifieds sections for free, and I've had no takers yet. Putting them back in the ocean isn't an option, due to several issues that arise from putting captive fish back in the wild. Somebody suggested that I offer them to uShaka Marine World, but I doubt they'd take fish from a private aquarium, plus they'd have nowhere to put them.

I'm clueless and really wouldn't mind some help round about now. What can I do with them? They're really great fish and it's kinda sad that they'll be homeless soon...

Thanks in advance

Set up a small tank in your varsity dorm room.
Could be a great conversation starter with the chicks:

"Why dont you come up to my room and I'll let you play with my eel"

or

"How about you and I go up to my room and stroke my long slippery eel ?"

:thumbup:

Haha thanks for the suggestions guys, but it doesn't work here, so I doubt it'll work where I'm going ;)

Besides that, I'm travelling quite a distance (by plane) to where I'm studying, and pets aren't permitted in the res...

That's just the thing - I've had them for roughly a year. However, releasing them back into the wild raises two issues: firstly, they've been hand fed since I've gotten them, so I don't know how well developed their hunting skills will still be. Secondly, they've been kept with fish that have been bought from the pet store. I'm a little worried that they'll be carrying pathogens and other nasties that might affect the wild fish, once they're released. Am I being paranoid?

Put some pics up and I'm sure someone will snatch them up in no time.

Set up a small tank in your varsity dorm room.
Could be a great conversation starter with the chicks:

"Why dont you come up to my room and I'll let you play with my eel"

or

"How about you and I go up to my room and stroke my long slippery eel ?"

:thumbup:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's just the thing - I've had them for roughly a year. However, releasing them back into the wild raises two issues: firstly, they've been hand fed since I've gotten them, so I don't know how well developed their hunting skills will still be. Secondly, they've been kept with fish that have been bought from the pet store. I'm a little worried that they'll be carrying pathogens and other nasties that might affect the wild fish, once they're released. Am I being paranoid?

Not releasing them back into the ocean is a wise decision IMO:thumbup:.

You seem responsible in your reasoning and trying to find your pets a new home with results negative. I am not going into a lecture as you will have many more to listen to in the new year. I commend you for your home finding efforts and hope it is a lesson learned.

To other would be eel collectors.

I wonder if issues like this are being noted by MCM? Will the compounding conflict issues concerning the collecting of aquarium specimens and environment preservation have an impact on permits. Will they be very restricted? Perhaps totally withdrawn?

We can only blame ourselves if we abuse.

Last edited:
pm chikaboo he has a mini Ushaka goin on

:lol:
:lol:

@ Salmonhunter :p- I do hope you find a home for the eels. Keep bumping this thread every now and then, a lot of guys are on leave, but the force is strong, so they'll most probably log in via phone and internet cafe from time to time

If they're wild caught, releasing them back shouldn't be an issue... how long have you had them would be the question though.

I completely disagree with this statement and like NJ i commend you on NOT doing this, the uncertanties are just too great !

I would drop ushaka a line, perhaps they can help, i know there was someone else talking about eels on the forum, i will have a look and try find the post

I'll be more than willing to help ... BTW my dad is in Durbz on Tuesday if you serious about giving them up ..... PM your contact details .... Lets see if we can get them a home and new parents

Thanks for the replies guys. @chikaboo, I've replied to your PM.

Here are a handful of pics:

G. griseus
IMG_8414.jpg

G. undulatus
IMG_1646.jpg

G. flavimarginatus
IMG_9424.jpg

E. nebulosa
IMG_3439.jpg

Thanks for all the help so far guys

Regards

Still awaiting a reply from Chika, otherwise I'll be phoning uShaka Marine World tomorrow to see if they'll take them.

Hey there,

I would like to echo Neils sentiments and congratulate you on not releasing them into the wild. This is a very contentious issue for me! After 6 years of studying ecology, zoology and conservation biology I can assure you that the risks of reintroducing animals (and the novel pathogens etc that they've gained) far far far outweigh the petty guilt of not releasing the livestock felt by the reefer! Kudos for doing the right thing, even if it seems difficult. Of course the flipside of that is that we all need to realise that once we take something from the ocean it is effectively removed, and we carry the responsibility for that.

Now, for some practical assistance. TwoOceans have a lovely moray display, and they exchange stuff with Ushaka pretty often. I will speak to my friend who works there and if Ushaka dont want them, maybe 2 oceans will take them.

Cheers
d

Back
Top Bottom