Moray troubles

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by SalmonAfrica, 21 Dec 2010.

1. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica

Hi all

First, a note to the mods - this isn't a classifieds or for sale thread. I understand that my post count is not high enough to post in the classifieds section, but this thread isn't an attempt to work around that. I just need some help.

Alright, onto the issue. At the moment I have 4 different species of moray, all of a (relatively) small size. They are all wild caught, from the general Durban.Umdolti/Ballito area.

The problem is that I'm getting shipped off to university next year, and the parents aren't willing to take care of them, partially out of fear of being bitten and partially out of fear that they'll accidentally kill them, because they're inexperienced in fishkeeping.

The thing is, I have no idea what to do with them. I have put them up on other forums' classifieds sections for free, and I've had no takers yet. Putting them back in the ocean isn't an option, due to several issues that arise from putting captive fish back in the wild. Somebody suggested that I offer them to uShaka Marine World, but I doubt they'd take fish from a private aquarium, plus they'd have nowhere to put them.

I'm clueless and really wouldn't mind some help round about now. What can I do with them? They're really great fish and it's kinda sad that they'll be homeless soon...

Thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Set up a small tank in your varsity dorm room.
    Could be a great conversation starter with the chicks:

"Why dont you come up to my room and I'll let you play with my eel"

or

"How about you and I go up to my room and stroke my long slippery eel ?"

:thumbup:

4. rakabos

rakabos

Im quite sure the women would think something fishy was going on AOR

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Thread Starter

Haha thanks for the suggestions guys, but it doesn't work here, so I doubt it'll work where I'm going ;)

Besides that, I'm travelling quite a distance (by plane) to where I'm studying, and pets aren't permitted in the res...

6. Curvball

Curvball

If they're wild caught, releasing them back shouldn't be an issue... how long have you had them would be the question though.

7. SalmonAfrica

That's just the thing - I've had them for roughly a year. However, releasing them back into the wild raises two issues: firstly, they've been hand fed since I've gotten them, so I don't know how well developed their hunting skills will still be. Secondly, they've been kept with fish that have been bought from the pet store. I'm a little worried that they'll be carrying pathogens and other nasties that might affect the wild fish, once they're released. Am I being paranoid?

8. durleo

durleo

how about some pics and their sizes ? Im sure some reefer likes eels - pm chikaboo he has a mini Ushaka goin on!

9. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Put some pics up and I'm sure someone will snatch them up in no time.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Not releasing them back into the ocean is a wise decision IMO:thumbup:.

You seem responsible in your reasoning and trying to find your pets a new home with results negative. I am not going into a lecture as you will have many more to listen to in the new year. I commend you for your home finding efforts and hope it is a lesson learned.

To other would be eel collectors.

I wonder if issues like this are being noted by MCM? Will the compounding conflict issues concerning the collecting of aquarium specimens and environment preservation have an impact on permits. Will they be very restricted? Perhaps totally withdrawn?

We can only blame ourselves if we abuse.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2010
  11. seank

seank

:lol:
    :lol:

@ Salmonhunter :p- I do hope you find a home for the eels. Keep bumping this thread every now and then, a lot of guys are on leave, but the force is strong, so they'll most probably log in via phone and internet cafe from time to time

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I completely disagree with this statement and like NJ i commend you on NOT doing this, the uncertanties are just too great !

I would drop ushaka a line, perhaps they can help, i know there was someone else talking about eels on the forum, i will have a look and try find the post

viper357 likes this.
  13. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

14. mookz

mookz

Could you please post pics??

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

I'll be more than willing to help ... BTW my dad is in Durbz on Tuesday if you serious about giving them up ..... PM your contact details .... Lets see if we can get them a home and new parents

16. SalmonAfrica

Thanks for the replies guys. @chikaboo, I've replied to your PM.

Here are a handful of pics:

G. griseus
    [​IMG]

G. undulatus
    [​IMG]

G. flavimarginatus
    [​IMG]

E. nebulosa
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help so far guys

Regards

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

They look really cool bud. I am sure Chika will give them a good home.:thumbup:

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

They are really stunning I wish I could take them but I don't have the tank space for them pity though as they are such awesome creatures.:yeahdude:

19. SalmonAfrica

Still awaiting a reply from Chika, otherwise I'll be phoning uShaka Marine World tomorrow to see if they'll take them.

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

tried phoning several times bud cant get through ... Pm me your number again
    Posted via Mobile Device

21. Dane

Dane

Hey there,

I would like to echo Neils sentiments and congratulate you on not releasing them into the wild. This is a very contentious issue for me! After 6 years of studying ecology, zoology and conservation biology I can assure you that the risks of reintroducing animals (and the novel pathogens etc that they've gained) far far far outweigh the petty guilt of not releasing the livestock felt by the reefer! Kudos for doing the right thing, even if it seems difficult. Of course the flipside of that is that we all need to realise that once we take something from the ocean it is effectively removed, and we carry the responsibility for that.

Now, for some practical assistance. TwoOceans have a lovely moray display, and they exchange stuff with Ushaka pretty often. I will speak to my friend who works there and if Ushaka dont want them, maybe 2 oceans will take them.

Cheers
    d

Recent Posts