Moray eel questions

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Wesd, 12 Nov 2013.

1. Wesd

Wesd

Hello all,

I always see small morays when im collecting and have been contemplating catching one for my 200ltr.

So i know the most important care requirements for morays but i have a few questions.

First and most important has anyone had success with geometric morays, these are the ones i see most regularly but i cannot find much info on them being kept in aquariums and this is the major concern i have with them. Can they be kept with fish, i would assume it should be fine if its kept fed and the fish cant fit in its mouth. If i can find a small floral (snowflake) then that will be the one i go for as there is plenty of info on them.

Secondly what would be the safest way (for the eel) to get it out of its hole???

Finally can they be kept in a tank without substrate, as long as they have enough rock work to hide in?
    @Lord_Blackadder maybe you could help with the capture part as i know you managed to get that Golden moray?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hails

Hails

People have kept them, but the ocasional fish sometimes disappears and once in a while the fish reappears. @CraigBosman ;)

Last edited: 13 Nov 2013
  4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I'd go for a snowflake or zebra moray, though they're all extremely fast growing and will probably outgrow you in about 6 months. Geometrics are a little dodgier with fish, though usually ok. They don't need a substrate, just a few rocks. You do very much want a tight fitting lid though. They WILL get out otherwise, and believe me it scares the crap out of the dog.

If you find one small enough you can just lift its rock and go Steve Irwin on it's ass (I suggest wearing reasonably thick gloves). Be prepared for a fight because they're extremely strong and slippery. Getting them into the catch bucket is the hardest part. I suggest maneuvering it into a net, holding the net tightly closed and then swimming to shore. It's easy for them to slip out and dive for the nearest rock if you're doing it in the middle of the sea.

5. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

geometrics are generally the most aggressive/nippy little buggers in the ocean when discussing eels! many i time when settling down to take a pic i've been bitten... they also don't let go in a hurry! u can lure them out of their caves with food, or clicking fingers, although i don't advise it... u will be bitten!! the others are generally quite docile but they will mess with u're rock work... all that being said.. with a 200ltr tank, i think maybe a blenny or 2 would be a better idea, or at best speak to some1 who has had success with ribbon eels....
    just my 2c...

6. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it :)

@GaryRoebuck i will definately be staying away from ribbon eels as they are very difficult to keep happy from what ive read, ideally i would like a snowflake but i dont see them nearly as often when diving as i do the geometrics. Ive also taken a bite from a smaller one before whilst collecting (my own fault, broken the number 1 rule of dont stick your hand in dark holes while chasing a fish) so i know the feeling.

@Lord_Blackadder, a steve irwin approach it shall be :D haha, thanks

i stripped the tank a while back to give it a good clean so its been running with no animals in, so if i cant find a snowflake then i'll get a geometric and throw a few blennies and damsels in as company. The reason i asked about substrate is because i know how messy they are and it will be easier to maintain water quality if i can just syphon the waste out of the tank.

Hopefully i can find a snowflake though, as im going to be setting up a 1.5m (450ltrs i think) after exams and if things go according to plan once the moray grows two big for the 200ltr i will be able to move it over to the settled 1.5m. If i get a geometric it will be released when it gets to big.

Thanks again :D

7. Bendor

Bendor

Hi @Wesd, why not contact @Bonehead

He has a snowflake he would like someone to take off his hands in a rsm 250. I can come help the two of you catch it or try catch it before you come if we make a plan for date and time.

8. Hails

Hails

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Nov 2013
  9. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

@Bendor, i had a look at his thread and seeing as its been in his tank for a while, and im looking for a very small one (so that it doesnt out grow the 200l tank before i get the bigger tank setup), i think it may be a bit bigger than what im looking for. But thanks for the suggestion :)

10. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

more like fingers before knees :lol:

11. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

most of my bites have been on my thighs... they obviously stick their heads out n see this blue neoprene wearing thing in front of them n just take a bite! :eek:

12. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

that sounds like sooo much fun... (said in a very sarcastic tone). Fortunately ive only taken the one bite and that was on the finger with some thin gloves on. Its a good thing i havnt taken any on the knees or thighs seeing as when i dive its wearing baggies and a rashvest.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2013
  13. Haaibek

Haaibek

I caught a snowflake on sunday, took a pic and release it. Theres a place i see them often.

14. Evo R

Evo R

Is this on the SA shore line?

15. Haaibek

Haaibek

Yes, theres 2 places you see them often. The one i caught on sunday close to 40 cm. It was north of Durban.

16. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

They've very common everywhere in KZN. It's rare for me to go out and see less than 3-4.

17. SteveZi

SteveZi

I saw an adult moray of more than a metre long on a recent dive down here. Still trying to figure out what species of moray would be found this far south.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Caught a 20 to 25cm snowflake in a 2L Coke bottle in some rockpools.
    Hold the bottle so that the opening looked like an escape route. But you need to cover the opening quickly. They are fast. Had no plans of keeping it, just the fact that I could catch it, observe it and let it go was more than enough satisfaction for me.

19. Evo R

Evo R

All this talk and reading up on snowflakes has made me more motivated to do what ive been wanting to do for a very long time......start a proper FOWLR predator only tank!

Now im in two minds as to keep local caught or buy imported eels and lions??
    The only concern i have against local is that not all the fish i want to keep are found locally, and i dont know if temp would/should be a concern? As local fish water temp range between 18c to 20c ish and imported are +- 26/27c.

20. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

give us a description and maybe we can try help ID it for you

21. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

im going to attempt the ''steve irwin'' (in the words of LB :D) capture method, even if it means taking a bite or two...

Recent Posts