Moorish Idol. STAY AWAY!

Mekaeel

Reaction score
6DAFC1B860574CE6B0264DBABDD67669V.jpg

Moorish idols Zanclus cornutus are notorious for being difficult to maintain in captivity. They require enormous tanks, often exceeding 200 gal (757 l), are voracious eaters, and are infamous for becoming incredibly destructive. Their captive survival rate is very low, most do not survive for a full year. Most that live past this mark typically die shortly thereafter. It is not recommended that any aquarist attempt to keep this species, because it is considered cruel by many and is nearly impossible (see diet). To avoid these shortfalls, some aquarists prefer to keep substitute species that look very similar to the Moorish Idol.

Last edited:
Ooops i bought one case...

For fish that refuse to eat, to survive in captivity live rock that is rich with coraline algae and sponge growth may be needed to stimulate their desire to do so. Offer finely chopped fresh or frozen shrimp, clams, squid, and other meaty fares suitable for carnivores, live mysid and brine shrimp, some vegetable matter as well as supplemental vitamin-enriched prepared foods that contain marine algae and Spirulina. Feed 2 to 3 times a day.

No - the whole nemo movie was not really THAT good idea - as millions of clown fish was sold as well as anemone's, and MILLIONS of nemo's (clown-fish) was killed, as was anemone's.

Pet-shops all around the world thought that they can make a quick buck - and a slaughter was the result.

People without the correct tanks, filtration systems, lighting, knowledge bought these fish and anemone's.... and this was BAD!

Mek, you got an Idol in your tank ?

i saw a small moorish at the LPS last week, i can see why people buy them.
The worst thing about Nemo is that my friends (all aged 25 -30) find the "nemo tank" at two oceans aquarium the most exciting part of their trip!

Mek, you got an Idol in your tank ?
i did have some time back.one in my old 4 feet setup which did pretty well but he eventually grew too big,so chucked him back where i got him from,north pier.
the second was in my 5ft,but that died when the tank popped.lovely species though. but i killed many before, not knowing about their care level in an aquarium.

Way cool Miki. Great info. :thumbup:This type of info should have its own subsection within Masa. Animals to be avoided.

Way cool Miki. Great info. :thumbup:This type of info should have its own subsection within Masa. Animals to be avoided.
Are there any corals to be avoided or is it just fish and other forms of livestock like crabs, hermits, starfish etc.?

There are plenty of both that are currently being sold that should be banned. Do you want to start with fish or corals.

So many....so little time:) Off the top of my head... Filefish Boxfish Batfish Mandarins Many butterflys and Anthias. And thats just a start

This does not mean that they cannot be kept; but it does mean that if their specific needs are not met they will die. And the sad reality is most do. I have learnt the hard way as i am sure many others have.

If I look at losses recorded by other people Copperbands should also go on the list.

Yea, agree also on that one. I have been the custodian of a Copper for 15months. It will still not take food presented by me. Very distressing.

Back
Top Bottom