Moorish Idol pair

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by Trev, 15 Aug 2010.

1. Trev

Trev

This is coppied from another thread. I thaught it would be a good idea to put it here so anyone interested in these fish can see how its done. Ask anyquestions

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

I have just finished QTing another pair of Idols unfortunately not local ones and they will be going into my fish only dsplay sometime next week. I have now QT 3 pairs and the one single so a total of 7 fish and these last two have been uber awsome with banner regrowth like I have never seen before aprox 10cm in 8 days

I will post pics soon

4. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Ok so my eagerness go the better of me and I decided to bring them home and start aclimatizing them but I first dropped the salin in the display a little so that its more or less the same as they were used to inn their QT system. So I started dripping at 3pm so at 5pm they go inn here are some pics, if you followed my thread on the purple tangs you will see I used the same methode of dripping them together in the same bucket with a clear divider

I will upload the pics now

Trev

5. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

6. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

They are eating spirulina flakes while dripping.................45min to go

7. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

And they are inn they are very confident and started grazing straight away funn that there were some zoas that had grown over onto some big rocks which I couldnt take out and lets just say they are doomed cuase these two idols started attacking them imediately so this pair aint reefsafe at all good thing I chose to put them inn the fish onlytank. The only issue is that my purple tang is being very ombeskoff at the moment and if he continues then I will relegate him to the sump chamber for a week but I will give him some time to start behaving himself.

Guys this is the shit I am inn heaven now having an idol pair at home again its a sight to behold. I now just need to negotiate my way through the white spot stage them its job done, but I have a new seceret weapon for white spot, Seachem Stress Guard

Trev

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

In a few hours once full natural coloration is restored I will take some more pics but man these fish are grazing in style right now, I have perposely been overfeeding this tank a little to get some good growth established for them and they are loving it

Trev

9. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Great stuff Trev

Pity this pair likes zoos , I'd die if I got 1 and it mowed down my collection

10. Slummies

Slummies

stunning bud. all the luck!

11. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Thanks Wade well not all Idols chow corals hey I think this is the first time I have seen any Idol really go to town on corals normaly they just nip

12. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Thanks Bruce you know all the stress and effort that has gone into these fish on my behalf and from your side to ;) Im just loving it man loving it

13. Yuri

Yuri

i remember reading john (copps) from reefcentral sead that more than one idol will not work long term
    Let us know how it works out

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

mmmmm Now I'm confused - I remember reading this when I wanted to keep a pair ...... (from about.com)
    Typically the Moorish Idol is a moderately-peaceful fish best kept with other non-aggressive species. In regards to keeping multiple numbers of these fish together, there are many opinions. Some aquarists recommend only keeping this fish singly or in mated pairs, while others suggest they only do well if introduced into an aquarium in groups of four, six, ten, or whatever.From experience we know that large mature adults have a low tolerance for one other, and therefore keeping a single specimen or a mated pair is recommended. As far as juveniles, although this fish does seem to commune fairly well as a group, nonetheless their behavior towards one another can be "unpredictable". Sometimes a group of smaller Moorish Idols will get along just fine, while other times there may be one renegade in the group that becomes dominant, and decides to pick on all the others.

Moorish Idol Fish Information

15. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Alot of people are confused basically I have read almost everything by almost eveyone and combined with my own experiances Idols are best introduced in pairs for many reasons. IMO most of the articals one reads on these fish is based on hearsay or on very little own experiance, unfortunately I have tried and failed enough with these fish to have solid experiance to work with ( if I mentioned numbers, members from greenpeace would be knocking at my door within hours ). However this is the very first time that I have ended up with two female Moorish Idols and I must be honest and says that when in QT after they had settled they had a good go at eachother but that was in a small tank with no rock structures so I am hoping that in this reeftank they can make peace

Trev

16. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Something that I have noticed not only in the QT stage but also now in the display tank is that one of the Idols is much happier grazing off the rocks and accepts less prepared foods incl flakes where as the other one grazes much less off the rocks and is very agressive when prepared food is served. This makes me think that one is more used to being in a tank than the other

Trev

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sailing in the same boat ..... but I'm determined to get this fish right ... To me a moorish idol just says "MARINE TANK" - My next option is a pair as I have failed with singles ... but local ones .... I simply love them to bits..... but doing more research to keep them successfully ... Check out my other post - I was even prepared to get them zoa's to get them munching on something .... will be following this closely! All the best

18. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Thanks Chika listen bud another thing in my experiance is that the local Idols are by far more hardier than the imported ones and I always prefer local ones and specificaly if you can get a Idol that has been cuaght in the Mossel Bay are late in season as if this fish has survived there at that time of the year it has been through the process of seperating the men from the boys and it will be the hardiest Idol on the planet which is the biggest reason that the guys from down there have only success with their Idols

Trev

19. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Also worth while mentioning here is that I once came across a guy on the east coast somewere who kept an Idol in a small tank if I rem corectly it was like 900 x 500 x 500 or something like that and the fish was happy inn there for years then he gave it to a friend with a 2m tank and apparently the 2m tank was a good settup and had optimal quality water but the Idol died within a month or two

20. Noweeds

Noweeds

Hey Trev, many years ago I had a bog Std 3ft running with a undergravel filter and a aquaclear mini....thats all. I had a Idol which i caught in the EL area live happily for over 5 years in that setup!!

21. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

LOL dude did you give it to a friend with a bigger tank and it didnt live long ?

Recent Posts