Moon Wrasse/Rainbow Wrasse

Reaction score
I caught quite a number of these today, but put them back and only kept one (in the Sump) for Id. Andrew/ Millipora/ Eco Aquatics already Id'd this for me after I urgently sent him a pic, so no Id neede. Just thought to share it with you guys.

Pic quality is not good as it was taken "in the Run"...LoL

090220082823.jpg

090220082824.jpg

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Sean - nice fish - for a "fish only" system..... I do not trust wrasses so much any more. Yes - I know - if it is fed well it would not kill of your cleaning crew and star-fish..... Or so they say - I would rather not trust it...

So - yeah - keep it in your sump - or IF you are brave enough - put it in your main tank.

IT IS INDEED A REALYL BEAUTY OF A FISH, THOUGH!

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Are these the same as that big psychedelic one you caught a while ago?

Reaction score
i had one before, they got pretty big teeth but dam they are colourful fish!! he was fine with my coral

Reaction score
i had lots of local hermits and starfish that we fing in our rock pools, he did tend to snack on the hermits but it never botherd me. my clam also died and he only ate it afterwards. dont know how seans will behave with his monster star fish

Reaction score
No Dean, this one does not get as big as the one I caught a while ago. The biggest recorded (According to Google) is about a 100mm.

It is true (again according to Google) that it is a hardy fish and that they do tend to be on the agressive side, especially towards shrimp and small crabs (well, who have them??)

It is a really, really beautiful speciman, pity it has to join the Butchers Prick, Dolphin (Bird Wrasse) and the Scorpion Leave Fish in the Sump. Well, at least I can watch them:thumbup:

Reaction score
The difference lies in the mouth (mostly) The one tends to "lean" towards the Parrotfish family- the bigger one I caught some time ago and this one more towards the T Lunare family- one with the smaller mouth and less teeth