Moolis's “pet project” 4x4x3.

Discussion in 'Pet Stop SA' started by Moolis Moolman, 28 Mar 2014.

1. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

I have been planning to tell you guys about my pet project in my office over the past weeks / months but never seem to get to it.

We constantly found that new hobbyists and future hobbyists are overwhelmed when they first look at our magnificent hobby.As you all know all the terms used in this hobby sounded like gibberish and you felt like you are totally out of your depth. Well to make it a bit easier I decided to incorporate as many facets of this reef keeping into one system, but in such a way even a layman can understand what is happening.

So after loads of planning and designing, re-designing and even starting all over again from scratch. Late 2013 I finally gave the design to Johan to build me the stand.

What I finally decided on was :
    4 x display aquariums +
    4 x Refugium & Deep sand beds +
    3 x filter compartments.
    ALL Linked together and acting in unison.

To give a short description of the water flow.
    1. 2 x Refugiums with T5 lighting
    . a. One fast flowing for macro algae that need lots of water movement
    . b. One that are slow moving water to allow pipe fish and other similar species to thrive in with macro algae. Furthermore this refugium will feed micro-organisms directly to the first display aquariums.
    2. 2 x DSB (deep sand bed)
    . a. one with medium to HIGH flow
    . b. One medium to LOW flow
    3. 1 x double skimmer compartment – here the difference between AC & DC pumps are displayed – these skimmers should be able handle the total bio load themselves.
    4. 4 x display aquariums
    . a. First - SPS (small polyp stony corals) – as this water would be clean and loaded with micro critters that they can enjoy. Also no biological / chemical warfare with LPS or softies
    . b. Second – LPS (large polyp stony corals) – this is second as the chemicals released by SPS corals should not too detrimental to the health of the LPS corals
    . c. Third – Soft corals and mini anemones – as the chemical warfare is the worst with Soft corals they are all placed here.
    . d. Fourth – NPS (non-photosynthetic corals) – As these corals need extra feeding that need to be removes ASAP after feeding, they are placed last.
    5. 1 x double skimmer compartment – this is the second skimmer compartment directly after the NPS (fourth) display aquarium. Here the difference that the depth that he skimmer is in the water is demonstrated. Both these skimmers are individually rated sufficient for the whole system.
    6. 1 x Sump – all aquariums must have a sump with mechanical (in this case x 2) filtration, chemical (currently 2 x activated carbon) filtration and biological (live rock as much as I have space for) filtration.
    Now finally the water is pumped up to the 2 refugiums again and gravity takes the water all through the system again.

TESTING – we monitor the water parameter on a daily basis with a photometer, so the stages of a new system and any experimentation done would be with accurate results.

Future additions will be experimentation orientated. That include chemical, mechanical or other product that we need to test. The idea with new products or existing products are that we do not sell something we do not believe in, so we need to test them before we market them and this is the best platform to do this. Furthermore we intend to test different makes of additives to compare cost, effectiveness and overall experience. The first product range has already been done and we are busy with the second range, so results are expected by mid-September 2014 at the latest.

Hope this give you a general overview of the system.

When I have time I will posts some pictures of the history especially the natural algae cycle that happened in the refugium (I found this to be extremely interesting)

2. Guest

3. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

Hey Moolis, this is a very nice concept to test all the products and brands out there and this will in future give us some type of background as to how the equipment handles the bio loads etc.

4. OP
    Moolis Moolman

Yes

Hopefully I can help everyone to save money and still have the best reef aquarium possible.

Guys pictures to follow soon.

5. OP
    Moolis Moolman

Some pictures to show the aquariums as why are now.

[​IMG]
    As you enter the shop you see this. The 4 empty aquariums are for the apistogrammas I will import later this year.

[​IMG]
    View from the back of the office

[​IMG]
    This is the refugium that is divided into 2 along the length .Front = medium flow and the back out of view.

[​IMG]
    The deep sand bed is also divided into 2 along the length. (See the 2 mangrove seeds) with the 2 skimmers that are filtering the fast flowing lines water before it enter the display.

[​IMG]
    NOW we get to the viewing = enjoyment of the 4 display aquariums
    The water enters on the Top left. This is the 1st one with SPS in it.
    Top right is the next aquarium with hard corals in.
    Then the water vmover to the bottom right where the softies are housed
    Lastly the water move to the 4th display aquarium with non photosynthetic corals

From here it go to 2 skimmers again.
    [​IMG]
    Then it go to the sump with activated carbon and loads of live rock.

Now the water is pumped up to the refugiums again where it all start again.

Everything work on gravitation except for the return pump from the sump up to the refugiums.

6. Brendan6

Brendan6

Love it. Awesome read and one day I would love to have a similar, but smaller scale, setup.

7. archiecrain

archiecrain

the addiction is stong with this one

Recent Posts