Monti's fate

Reaction score
As some of you may know I am not really fond of keeping SPS. When I bought my tank it included a pink/orange montipora.

The unit was OK for a couple of weeks, till I noticed a weird tube-like structure on the main plate of the coral. This tube had some tentacles. I investigated and thought I had a vermetid snail. I decide to RO dip the coral to get rid of the pest. This did not work, but stressed the coral to bleaching.

I got rid of the "snail" with a Calcium Hyroxide injection, but the coral really looked sick.

I have been trying to nurse it back and have noticed some colour coming back.

Please give me your opinion on what should be done to the montipora in the pic below

52847dd5c83a12d3.jpg

There is also loads of coralline on the actual plate, does this indicate dead coral tissue ?

The brown/orange patches are what is left of the monti, everything else is dead. Leave the coral alone and it will recover, it will grow over the dead skeleton. Do not do any more RO dips or anything else to it, leave it alone, it should hopefully recover but it will take a long time.

What you just killed seems to sound like it could have been a harmless vermetid worm.

medium.jpg

That's fine, they sometimes embed themselves in or on corals, nothing to worry about.

thats not good! i must say one of the biggest advantages to this forum is being able to get good advice, even if at times people dont agree atleast a close to ID would have been had. Sorry to hear that monti took such a hammering if it wasnt needed, let home in time he comes right:)

wo that must be sade, it going to recover so all the best

could be quite weird. as it is starting to plate on the damaged skeleton. will post pic when i remember.

imagine you only had a leg left and you could recover?

Looks like regrowth is starting nicely. Give him as much flow and light as possible.

Looks like regrowth is starting nicely. Give him as much flow and light as possible.

Flow is no prob, he gets loads, but lighting wise, he is on the sandbed as per Calfo's propogation book, where he states that these boys don't need the hectic light as per the Acropora sticks and other sps cousins.

Do reckon I should put him closerup to the 18000K T5's

Back
Top Bottom