MONTIPORA coloring

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently placed 2 montipora frags in my tank (actually one is quite large). One is green and one is red. However, their colors seem to be quite dull and not as nice bright green and red as I have seen in other people's tanks.

What could be the reason for this ? I have thought of a few possibilities but am not 100% sure:

1 - That's the type of Montipora that it is ....
2 - Calcium and/or food levels may not be sufficient ....
3 - It is a reflection of the light available for the coral ....
4 - They will darken in time ...

I have noticed that under different light some coral colors are more prominent, normally under a good quality actinic,

Nutrients might be low. Monti's are one of the few sps that need some nutrients to look good.

Keep PO4 around 0.05ppm and NO3 around 2-5. Algae is mostly a young tank problem, as your tank matures it really does dissipate.

Keep PO4 around 0.05ppm and NO3 around 2-5. Algae is mostly a young tank problem, as your tank matures it really does dissipate.

Both of mine are 0 - how could I increase it slightly ?

My tank is 1 year old and I still have a lot of algae (is that normal) ?

I just did a 3-day blackout which seemed to clear my Cyano issue (but I still see some spots of it so it may come back)

OK, so I have an LNS and my kH is below 10 .... what does all that translate to ?

It means your tank is clean. Feed more, dose amino acids and monitor your NO3 and PO4 closely when doing so:thumbup: Monties like a little bit off NO3 to color up like @carlosdeandrade said.

Last edited by a moderator:
It means your tank is clean. Feed more, dose amino acids and monitor your NO3 and PO4 closely when doing so:thumbup: Monties like a little bit off NO3 to color up like @carlosdeandrade said.

What amino acids could I dose ?

Will this affect any of my other sps, lps or softies in a negative way ?

1st Give them time, let them acclimate to your system. They take months sometimes to get good colour sometimes.

....make sure your tank is stable. All params dont have to be perfect, but if you at least keep them stable it helps.

Low nutrients coupled with high flow over the monit's may make them go very pale. keep that in mind when going for colour.

Back
Top Bottom