Monti eating nubibranches!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by DerekL, 9 May 2014.

1. DerekL

DerekL

Neighbour had bought a montipora digitata from a lfs. For some reason he doesn't dip his coral before putting them in his display tank. Here where I am from is a border city with the United States of America and I have access to Bayer Complete Insect Killer which has been proven as a safe and very effective coral dip for pests. I have a few bottles and offer to dip anything that he buys. Anyways he now has an infestation of monti eating nubibranches that he spends an hour every night after lights out manually picking out. He said he watches most of them come from under the base or frag plug. He asked me if he used epoxy to block the holes where he watches them come out of. I dip all new coral colonies and frags so I am not sure. So have any of you tried this or think that this will help.

Thank you
    Derek

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Hes going to spend the lest of the montis life picking them off.
    If they only coming from one spot or on one coral, he should remove that coral and treat properly ie. regular dips. Removing it will also stop them spreading to other montis he may have in his tank.

4. 4age

4age

I am not aware of the availability of that product in South Africa..although I wish it was...always read up of guys using it for sps

I have used potassium permanganate to get rid of monti eating nudis..although it has risks due to the strength of it and difficulty measuring in millegrams

since I have added a dusky wrasse to my tank I have had no further issues with pests..they eat flatworms and nudis if you get the right individual fish (there is always a chance that an individual fish may ignore natural food (pests) in preference to flake food and frozen food

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Unfortunately the eggs of these nudibranches are really tough and can only be killed using formalin dips which can kill the monti. I have found the best way of getting control of these guys is by getting the canary wrasses, Halichoeres chrysus.

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

7. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

@4age. In Canada the only pesticides that we can get are organic. I live across a river from Detroit Michigan USA so we can cross the border and buy the Bayer Complete Insect Killer but if I got pulled in for inspection at customs they would confiscate it. And yes it is great for sps but I have used it on softies leathers and zoanthids as well with no ill effect. carlosdeandrade I don't know 100% but I have been told that the Bayer Complete Insect Killer kills eggs as well. I too had bought a montipora digitata from the same lfs as my neighbour did the same day but I dip all coral with that stuff and have not had any problems with the nubibranches. My neighbour knows that it will be a constant battle he was just wondering if the epoxy over the holes and gaps under the frag plugs and bases of all montipora corals in his tank would maybe trap them under and with out a food source die off or at least slow them down. I guess maybe if no one has tried and knows he should just try it at this point he really has nothing to loose by trying.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. 4age

4age

@carlosdeandrade..potassium permanganate will work on eggs too..but as stated its not easy to work with...I agree with your recommendation that natural predation by certain wrasse species works.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

10. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

I also agree with natural predation as I have a Hoeven's wrasse an it constantly hunts my live rock. As for my neighbour he has a six line wrasse that has been making meals out of these nubibranches but he says the majority of them come out at night

Recent Posts