Monthly costs..

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mickey69, 24 Jun 2012.

1. mickey69

mickey69

Hi people

Besides the standard electricity, what are you/do you think you spend every month on keeping your system running smoothely?

Please list your type of setup, tank size and any special extra's you might indulge in:)peroni:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi
    i have a 500L mixed reef with 5 large clams, my spend i will say is about R400 monthly.
    i use the orca range which last about 2-3months for additives and 6+ for bio-cubes, so thats my average.
    i dont do any WC so no salt costs etc

4. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

I have a nano 80L mixed reef.

I only do a 10L WC every week. And RO topup amounts to about 30L per month in winter. Both salt & RO water I get for free. Did offer to pay though. :)

The only other mandatory expenses I have, is replacement of failed equipment. Which was a pump and a heater. For 9 months, thats not too bad. Oh, yes, and replaced the globes once.

My food lasts me about 4 months, it amounts to about R80 pm.

Hope that helps?

Last edited: 24 Jun 2012
  5. Jayceew

Jayceew

Although its not a monthly expense its probably still important to plan or budget for things like lamp replacement and RO filter replacement.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As the size goes up, so does the costs.
    More pumps, more power, more lights, more water, more salt....

Anyway, it comes back to initial setup. Do you have the cheapest pumps and light units? Or the most expensive? The most expensive is somehow an indication of expected performance, but middle of the range products are just as good when starting out. So instead of a cheap powerhead with suction cups, use a better pump with magnet mounts.

Same with LED light units. Supposedly better than T5, and yes I do agree the the latest units advanced a lot in terms of technology. But not in the price :(. For me, just not worthwhile yet. Even on a nano, paying more for the light unit, than you paid for the rest of the equipment just do not make sense. And running 2 * 36W PL T5 on a nano, compared to a 10 to 20W LED unit, there is not really a monthly saving. I doubt if that is a R100. On a big system 2.8m length, not really either. Running 2 * 54W units, each with 8 T5 tubes, that is a whopping 864W in lights. But you would need 6 (at least depending on depth and optics used) LED units. At around R9k for a descend unit, and they all consume about 70W each. That is still 420W A total saving of 444W. Descend T5 units will be less than 10K VS about 50K for Leds. The difference of 40K is a lot of tube replacements.

Replacing your return pumps that runs 24/7 is by far a better option. Water Blaster 5000L/h pump use 60W VS Hailea 3000L/h that use 100W. But OK, the Water Blaster is more expensive, but it pushes more. But on one single 24 cycle, it is about a 1000W saving. A lot more than the saving on LED lights.

Lastly, depending on your location, and your system size. Investing in your own RO unit, drums etc to built your own mixing station. Is a lot cheaper within one year. Running a nano, doing 10L WC a week, 10L RO top up a week, do not really justify investing R2k in a mixing station. Especially if you do not have the space for it.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2012
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That exclude additives, media for reactors, impulse buying....

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

anyway, I'm running a 350L and 220L linked system, with sumps in total about 1000L.

Biggest expense excluding electrical costs are food. I bought 5 tubs flake and 2 tubs pellets on 29 Feb at about R85 each. So 7 tubs in 4 months.

I do not use any additives, doepa, miracle soup or whatever. Only slaked lime in reactor. But slaked lime is dirt cheap at pharmacy and last for months.

9. Wes

Wes

I'm not sure if everyones taking into consideration the globes used to light the tanks as well that alone, my tank being a 1.2m tank with 8 X 54W T5 Tubes, replacement globes a year would cost me R 200.00 a month

10. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Ive got a 150l (total volume) nano which im running rather expensive at the moment. Im only using premium range products for dosing, waterchanges, lighting, equipment.
    Dosing:R130/month
    Lighting replacements: R100/month average
    Waterchanges: R120/month (including own RO water)

So a total of R350/month.
    Take in mind that this is with premium products, i have really seen a big difference in coral growth/health since using these products!!!

11. student

student

id average it out my costs to about R400 a month on my 500l system. rough estimate

12. DubKorps

DubKorps

the idea is to spend little more on equipment for lower consumption pumps,lights etc and save long term on electricity bills

Recent Posts