Monsoon Aquatics from Darwin Australia posted these amazing videos to their Facebook Page of spawning Euphyllia paraancora. The videos clearly show egg bundles accumulating in the hammer shaped tentacles before being released through the polyps central mouth.
The gamete release happened at the same time both days, when the temperature was at its warmest. Monsoon also reported that certain individual colonies also started releasing sperm, and that there were even a few colonies releasing both sperm and eggs.
Some of these colonies were moved into holding tank to promote fertilizations, and we will see in the days to come if spawning fertilization was successful. It could be weeks before newly settled polyps are visible but this is nonetheless a very exciting observation on the spawning of branching hammer coral.
Readers also viewed:
- Hybrid spawning of Rhinopias captured on video
- Simultaneous coral spawning at ORA indicates their broodstock is in prime health
- Unique video shows the clear difference between clarki and true sebae clownfish
- RalfP’s mature reef aquarium is a world class coral display
- “Oh My!” Aquarium coral spawn at home on tape
- Cave basslet spawning caught on video with the help of red night-time LEDs
- Spawning Jans’s pipefish caught on video
- Baby dolphin birth captured on video