molly fish in reef tank? Cheesy or acceptable?

Salkio

Lorenzo
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So i saw that its possible to keep mollys in a reef tank and they do just fine. I wanted to know if its something people actually do after their tank is cycled?
I was thinking of it but I'm not sure if people actually do it haha

Hey bud

i have one in my tank, just drip them slowly for at least 4-6 hours and they'll be just fine.
good algea eaters

Been watching Reef Builders on youtube, ey?;)

I haven't kept them, but definitely would! They're cheap, colourful, and eat algae! Why not!? They apparently don't do too well in high flow tanks, so maybe not great in an SPS system.

Personally, if I were to keep them, I'd add them to an ecosystem system that they naturally come from, so either a lagoonal or mangrove style tank. For my personal taste, I feel they may look a bit out of place in an SPS dominated reef crest ecosystem... But as Jake Adams says in his video: "it's all about personal preference". If you like the idea, go for it!

Were the haters come into play...is when someone finds out you cycled your tank with one and then flushed it :m85:

On the topic of fw fish in a reef tank, apparently scats are pretty useful in a reef:

In my opinion a Silver Scat is one of the best fish to have in a reef tank. Mine eats green hair and briopsis.

Hey bud

i have one in my tank, just drip them slowly for at least 4-6 hours and they'll be just fine.
good algea eaters
yeah I'm aware of the long acclimation. But it sounds "cheap" to me adding 20 rand fish haha

Been watching Reef Builders on youtube, ey?;)

I haven't kept them, but definitely would! They're cheap, colourful, and eat algae! Why not!? They apparently don't do too well in high flow tanks, so maybe not great in an SPS system.

Personally, if I were to keep them, I'd add them to an ecosystem system that they naturally come from, so either a lagoonal or mangrove style tank. For my personal taste, I feel they may look a bit out of place in an SPS dominated reef crest ecosystem... But as Jake Adams says in his video: "it's all about personal preference". If you like the idea, go for it!
hahah yes! I think I may give them a go :D

Were the haters come into play...is when someone finds out you cycled your tank with one and then flushed it :m85:
Nah I don't believe in cycling with live fish.... Especially now day where you can get products that do it in a week

This is an interesting thread... thanks for the Scat news

Back
Top Bottom