molly cleaning team vs algae

Reaction score
cool idea(maybe) of acclimatising mollies to saltwater and keeping in sump, when algae gets out of hand in dt move mollies in for a while, it would be cool to see which algaes they would eat(incl cheato in sump )

dallasg

Reaction score
they make for great live food :) and how u going to catch them again?

Reaction score
feeding ring in front of tank and largish net when scooping em up and under when putting flakes in feeding ring ,

dallasg

Reaction score
I know Mollies can live in salt water, but it is a cruel and barbaric thing to do.
i do agree, used to keep mine in my bro's freshwater setup to feed my frog fish and lion fish

Reaction score
you guys are missing the boat, i didnt say feed em to anything!. they live in all three types of water in nature, brackish fresh and salt! show me how letting them live in salt water is bad? saying that is bad ,is equivalent to saying that keeping a fish in a little tank far from the ocean is barbaric.!.i dont however think either is barbaric.!

dallasg

Reaction score
i fed mine to my predators tank :)

Reaction score
i say try it out man. in the 1st place we keep fish in tanks when they where never designed to live in so i dont see u doing any wrong. go for it and let us know

Reaction score
On this one I say try it Mandarinman. What we, the lfs'es,importers, wholesalers etc do, is in my view also cruel. Hunting, culling, keeping birds in cages, flush "hairy" or bad crabs down the toilet is just as cruel. They all fullfil some type of job in nature. My 2c

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
They live in FULL salt and fresh water in nature, saw the whole thing in a documetry. I would love to see the results of this. If there is a study showing that this IS cruel not just exprience I will not do it, but I have not seen proof of this yet.

Nice idea Manderin

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I know Mollies can live in salt water, but it is a cruel and barbaric thing to do.
Very, just be cause they can survive in salt water doesn't mean they enjoy it, i could lock you in your toilet, as long as you have food you'd survive, but how happy would you be??? (straight from fresh, doesn't mean it is good)

I have to agree.
Me too

i fed mine to my predators tank :)
Then you are cruel

On this one I say try it Mandarinman. What we, the lfs'es,importers, wholesalers etc do, is in my view also cruel. Hunting, culling, keeping birds in cages, flush "hairy" or bad crabs down the toilet is just as cruel. They all fullfil some type of job in nature. My 2c
Correct

Last edited by a moderator:

dallasg

Reaction score
used too, i grew up and donated the fish to an aquarium

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Now days you can google almost anything and you will get some answers, but we will never know how true the answers are.

Mithbusters had a thing on free power and they found numerous plans on the internet on how to get free power but non of them worked.

So we can lock our kids up in their rooms with a TV and PlayStation, they will survive, but will they be happy.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
The problem I would see in this is the high water flow in our tank as in the documetry the water was almost NOT flowing, so if you view it from that point it is cruel. Otherwise what is it that you makes you think its cruel, personal experience or what you seen or read which could very well be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Now days you can google almost anything and you will get some answers, but we will never know how true the answers are.

Mithbusters had a thing on free power and they found numerous plans on the internet on how to get free power but non of them worked.

So we can lock our kids up in their rooms with a TV and PlayStation, they will survive, but will they be happy.
have u asked your fish if they are happy?

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Also in the wild they live in a cycle of fresh and salt, so it as cruel to have them in fresh as it is to have them in saltwater, from that logic.

Last edited: