Mixing water

Reaction score
Didn't want to clutter the original thread up with off topic questions , but I'm curious about the reason behind this :

Tip 3,(Recomended 10% weekly water change) When mixing up your salt mix for water changes always use RO/DI (Reverse osmosus/De-ionised) add the salt to the water and not the water to the salt..Let the mix mature for at least 24 hours before the water change....(12hour should be okay in emergancy's)But is better to always have salt mix available..Make sure that temp and PH are the same as the tank.

From here

If the salt's mixed and the temp, SG and ph are at the right place, how does the order of adding salt to water or the maturation period help ? Oxygenation ? I've been running an air stone in my mix, but doubt I've waited more than 2 hours at most before changing :m79:

Will change that asap, just curious about the reasoning !

I've never waited 24 hours before adding water to my tank.I just make sure everything has mixed well and then add it,sometimes this can take 15min. I've never had any problems with this method before.

Same, but still a noob. Anyhow, mixed up tomorrow's water change already this morning in case :)

I've never waited 24 hours before adding water to my tank.I just make sure everything has mixed well and then add it,sometimes this can take 15min. I've never had any problems with this method before.

How do you measure the "SALINITY" ?

:tt2:
LOL I was asking how you measure, not what instrument you have. :lol:

:m12: As soon as the temperature is stable and the water looks clear.....It is of my opinion that the water is stable enough to be measured.Ill normally take two readings before adding the new water to my sump

:tt2:

:m12: As soon as the temperature is stable and the water looks clear.....It is of my opinion that the water is stable enough to be measured.Ill normally take two readings before adding the new water to my sump

Cool, Thanks for explaining that. The point I was getting to is that if the water is still cloudy and a refractometer is used, then the reading will most likely be out because the refractive index would be out.

The same for electronic salinity (conductivity) instruments. :thumbup:

Take this table to note....
uploadfromtaptalk1434106031047.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434106031047.jpg

adding salt to water or the maturation period help ? Oxygenation

Water to salt = precipitation of CACO3, in other words, making some of the valuable elements you pay for in the salt unusable.

Aeration is for gas exchange for the salt mix to reach equilibrium with regards to CO2 & O2.

with only a 10% water change, once your pH of salt mix is at the desired level (8.1 - 8.4) and of course your salinty, you are good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I dont see harm waiting a bit longer,I have a ph meter perhaps I should also use it when Im mixing water

Back
Top Bottom