Mixing of Synthetic Saltwater Brands

Reaction score
Having never really paid much attention to synthetic salt water threads, I was advised on a really interesting aspect around not mixing synthetic saltwater brands.

Is this the general consus on the subject? The reasoning seems to imply that different brands will have different parameters levels, thus would potentially mean a greater "shift" in some of these elements...

The logic might make sense in a way, but I would expect to see the same problem when doing substantial water changes with the same brand over and over again.

I've never really had an issue with NSW, but guess driving up and down the N3 might not be such a economical solution:p

Lastly, I've heard some really good things about Seachem Salinity and would like to know if it's really worth the premium price. What makes Brand A better than Brand B, besides the elevated elements in some brands?

Cheers

It all depends on how they manufacture it, most salt is all made via evaporation and by 2 or 3 companies but I plan to learn more as this thread grows

Tagging along, but I do think we always seem to think that the higher the price the better, this might not be the case all the time.

i Think we need some input from your sponsors !
Guys We waiting
Ps Tagging this one is a must for all..

here is a nice read

Well, a few factors.

Most important part, is price. Not the cheapest salt, not the most expensive salt. But rather a salt that give good parameters at an affordable price. And each batch should be as close as possible to the previous batch.

But in paying R500 more for one brand over the other, just for the name, you end up with a very expensive bucket.

But shouldn't that be the norm?

Not at all. Some brands have massive differences between each batch. Even if you compare products within the same brand such as Seachem Salinity and Seachem ReefSalt you will find that one will be a lot more consistent than the other.

The most important aspect regarding a salt's quality is that the parameters are correct and as stable as possible between batches. The problem is that there is normally more variance between batches than there is beween brands. We had a salt in SA a few years ago that was great for the first batch or two and then the next batch started wiping out tanks

In theory mixing different brands will actually mitigate against this. Not that I am suggesting that this should be done.:p

A brand like Seachems Salinity is made by them on site and guaranteed that the parameters will fall within strict boundaries. Their cheaper Reefsalt is made off site in a huge factory that makes salt for many different brands, but it is far more inconsistent across batches.

The difference in price between the two, when comparing liter for liter (at 1,025 is about 23% more for the premium salt).

and, I done a Excel spreadsheet on those salts mentioned in that study

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=760&d=1296674026

Top part, Blue we want, Orange we do not want

bottom part is how does each element compare to the same element for the other brands. Blue = better, Red = worst
Thanks Riaan, but I don't see substantial differences between the brands:p

Maybe I should plot it on a pivot and see it visually.

The most important aspect regarding a salt's quality is that the parameters are correct and as stable as possible between batches. The problem is that there is normally more variance between batches than there is beween brands. We had a salt in SA a few years ago that was great for the first batch or two and then the next batch started wiping out tanks

In theory mixing different brands will actually mitigate against this. Not that I am suggesting that this should be done.:p

A brand like Seachems Salinity is made by them on site and guaranteed that the parameters will fall within strict boundaries. Their cheaper Reefsalt is made off site in a huge factory that makes salt for many different brands, but it is far more inconsistent across batches.

The difference in price between the two, when comparing liter for liter (at 1,025 is about 23% more for the premium salt).
When looking at it from that angle 23% is hardly significant I guess and at least you have a very good idea of what is being added to your tank.

So, mixing of NSW with different brands should not have an adverse affect on livestock by the sounds of it.

BTW - Nice meeting you on Saturday Rob:)

When looking at it from that angle 23% is hardly significant I guess and at least you have a very good idea of what is being added to your tank.

So, mixing of NSW with different brands should not have an adverse affect on livestock by the sounds of it.

BTW - Nice meeting you on Saturday Rob:)

Yes good meeting you.

I personaly don't see any big deal with mixing brands, they are all trying to mimic sea water anyway. As I said there is more differnce between batches than between brand anyway. Unless you use Salinity which was specifically designed to stop this problem.

We should also all be aware of the salinity that the buckets are designed to be mixed at. Some say to mix at 1,022 and will then say that they deliver 600l of marine water. We all mix to 1,025 thus only getting 528l out of that bucket. Bit of a sneaky one if you don't read the instructions.

That's why you need to know the actual liters that the salt will make at comparable salinities.;)

Theres also the whole debate around using evaporated salt vs "lab" or synthetic salt. I personally prefer a synthetic salt as you dont know what impurities fell into/onto the salt while the water was evaporating out in the open.
@Bob the (reef)builder - our 25kg bucket Reef Salt mixes 757L at 1,025. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
evaporated salt vs "lab" or synthetic salt

Evaporated salt, think about it. They use big flat ponds to pump sea water in. Then let it evaporate. Collect the salt and you got the closest thing to real sea water you can get. So in theory this should be the best method. But, what happens to all the microscopic organisms, copepods, algae, bacteria etc that was pumped into the shallow pond as well. They obviously all die. But they are still within the salt crystals. How do they get rid of them?

It might be that your phosphate problems are not due to you overfeeding, but because you use evaporative salt where the dead was not removed.

Anybody knows how they get rid of the dead? Or prevent the organisms to enter the ponds?

Evaporated salt, think about it. They use big flat ponds to pump sea water in. Then let it evaporate. Collect the salt and you got the closest thing to real sea water you can get. So in theory this should be the best method. But, what happens to all the microscopic organisms, copepods, algae, bacteria etc that was pumped into the shallow pond as well. They obviously all die. But they are still within the salt crystals. How do they get rid of them?

It might be that your phosphate problems are not due to you overfeeding, but because you use evaporative salt where the dead was not removed.

Anybody knows how they get rid of the dead? Or prevent the organisms to enter the ponds?

they irradiate the salt and filter the water

Back
Top Bottom