Mixing Dwarf Angels - Info on Potters Angel

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Rob13, 29 Apr 2016.

1. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

Hi everyone,

I know it is generally discouraged to do this but just like to find out the experiences of members who have successfully mixed dwarf angels - how did you go about it? Other than adding them at the same time, any other advice? Would two of them be possible in a 450L tank?

Lastly, what is your experience with the potters angelfish? I have read a few reports of these fish lasting a few months and then just suddenly dying... Such an amazing looking fish though so would be great to hear some success stories!

Thanks everyone!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Never had a potters but have added 3 dwarf angels to my 500L and had no issues, i left the lights off all day and added them them, then only used the lights the following day.

Rob13 and madmatt like this.
  4. Rob13

Rob13 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks @dallasg! So I would add them at 00:00 after lights are out and all other fish are sleeping... Lights then usually start up again by about 12:00 but I should leave them off for the remainder of that day as well and only start the lights again at 12:00 the following day?

5. Geronimo

Geronimo

I had a jumping bean, coral beauty, bi-colour, lemon peel and a flame angel all together in a 240 lt tank. The jumping bean showed some aggression towards the flame angel in the beginning but settled down after a day or two.

6. Rob13

Wow 5 in a 240L tank, must have looked incredible with so many - how did you go about adding them? Did you qt them all together or all into the main display at the same time?

@Geronimo what was your experience with the lemon peel?

7. Geronimo

Geronimo

Had the bean and coral beauty in first and later added the other three at the same time.
    Yes it looked awesome :biggrin:. I think the lemon peel was the most difficult to keep happy. The other four were extremely easy to keep and feeding them was easy. I do think if in any way possible you should try and add them at the same time and if you want to add a jumping bean, add him last.

I currently only have a bean in my tank and would think twice before adding another dwarf angel as he is rather aggressive

Rob13 likes this.
  8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

what i used to do was have a section in my sump for new fish, then acclimate them there, no stress from fish etc, then in the evening add them to main tank, no stress as no acclimation needed and they were eating already

Rob13, Geronimo and madmatt like this.
  9. madmatt

madmatt

I do the same with adding new fish that don't do well with stress.
    My skimmer chamber has enough space. So I leave new fish in there for a day or 2, Get them eating again happy after QT and then add them at night once the lights are out.

Rob13, Geronimo and dallasg like this.
  10. Rob13

Well the middle compartment in my sump is relatively empty so I could keep them in there but worried 2 dwarf angels in an area that is probably around 70x50cm might cause issues? Or do I separate them with some eggcrate for the two days before introduction?

Here is my plan thus far:
    1) I already have a very healthy flame angel that has been in qt for over a month (was going to add him this weekend but with my thoughts on multiple dwarfs I held back for now);
    2) The LFS has a potters (bigger than the flame) that has been there about two weeks, is really alert and is eating flake and frozen food;
    3) The plan is to remove the flame (put him into a bucket), rearrange the rock work in qt and then add the potters and flame to the qt at the same time? I have the option of separating the qt if I have to (qt tank is 1m long);
    4) After another 2/3 weeks in qt I would add both to the display (or sump) at the same time and after lights are out?

Any thoughts on this?

11. madmatt

madmatt

If you feel worried about them together first off, then yes separate them a sheet of egg crate. They can still see each other but not attack each other.
    Like dogs with cat. Once they realise this other thing is here to stay and not a threat they get along.

12. madmatt

madmatt

Think that's a good reason to have a fish box in your tank.you can add the new fish into the box where everyone can see the new guy and get use to seeing it.

13. Rob13

Separate to start with or first introduce them and see what happens before separating them?

I know a lot of people use this and of course I could be completely wrong, but I have thought that most fish would leave the fish in the box alone as the fish is not encroaching on their territory... But despite the box, as soon as you release the fish you could have war because the new fish now has the ability to get close to other established territories? Of course this is just my thought, but I will definitely try it as I am open to doing anything to make this work!

Thanks @madmatt!

madmatt likes this.
  14. madmatt

madmatt

You wait it out and see there reaction or you can try avoid the kak Be4 it happens.
    But as we all know in this hobby,there's no guarantee

Rob13 likes this.
  15. Rob13

Any other ideas/experiences?

16. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

I have a bicolor and coral beauty in a 220 liter. Coral beauty was in first and gave the bicolor some grief. I caught coral beauty and put it in a perspex box for 2 days to give bicolor time to settle, and now there is just the odd chasing every now and then, but they mostly get along fine. Social acclimation is important, put the new fish in a perspex container inside tank for a few days/week to let the established fish get used to it without being able to get to it. Then when you eventually release it, put a mirror next to the tank to distract the established fish for a day or so while the new one explores. If there are still issues, swap them around for another week (i.e. put established fish in perspex container), also did this successfully with an aggressive Yellow Tang, just put it in the acclimation box for a week and released again and it was ok towards my singapore angel at that stage after attacking it quite badly. I have 9 angels in a 700 liter at the moment, and they all get along at the moment by following that technique. Only one centropyge in there though (multispinnis), but going to transfer the bicolor from the 220 liter to the big tank soon.

Recent Posts