mix reggies sand and crushed coral?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Richard, 26 Jun 2009.

1. Richard

Richard

I currently have about 10mm of crushed coral (+\-2mm) on the bottom of my main tank.
    I bought some reggies sand to make a deep sand bed in my sump and there is quite a bit left over.
    Should I mix it with the coral in the main take to fill the gaps between the coral?
    I have been told that the coral is too big and will lead to nitrate ploblems?
    I do not want a DSB in the main tank and plan to stir the substrate every few days.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

I'd really suggest removal of the crushed coral, it certainly is a trap for rubbish in the tank and is pretty uninhabitable for the little critters that we try breed. Keeping a marine tank is hard enough work without the daily chore of cleaning a substrate that doesn't look all that good to start off with anyways. Rather bite the bullet and replace it completely with reggies sand, or if money's available, a mix of aragonite which will stay white and be nice to the noo noo's . . .

4. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Richard as Eric said it will be beneficial in the long run to swap coral with reggies playsand,

Just one thing, dont do it all at once, take a handfull or two, wait a few days before changing more etc. This helps prevent another cycle / possible crash

5. inflames

inflames

From personal experience I also had crushed coral as substrate in my DT:(. I also recently changed to play sand. Over a period of a few day I removed the coral and added play sand. This helps to not have a mini cycle all over again. I have noticed a huge decrease in red slime algae and my water is just "clearer". So I would say if you dont want a "dsb" in your DT. Either go for NO substrate or playsand (as a cheaper alternative to aragonite). I also only have a 1cm to 2cm playsand depth in my DT;) and its great (allot bettre than the crushed coral!!!):thumbup:

6. Richard

Richard Thread Starter

Why is it not a good idea to mix them?
    If its the gaps betwen the coral that is the problem then adding the (fine) sand will solve this?
    seems a pity to throw the stuff away.
    I clearly bought it before I knew what a crap idea it is.

7. FransSny

FransSny

eventually the gaps filled with fine sand will get clogged with crap, also since changing over to playsand I've had millions of good goggos running around at night before there were much less.

8. IMarine

IMarine

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, IF you will keep up with doing this diligently, then I don't see any problem with mixing it with a fine play sand, just to close up the gaps. any detritus will be re-suspended every time you do the stirring, and you should be able to blow most into your overflow & skimmer.

I personally don't think it's a good idea to stir the substrate, though - in doing so you will kill off most small critters which would other wise have helped by eating detritus and feeding your corals and fish - not all that bad if you have a DLSB in a sump, but you will be losing a benefit...

Hennie

Recent Posts