Missing Fish

Reaction score
I have had a pair of clowns (maroon and false) hosting in a heliofungia for the last couple of months. Everything has been great with the relationship. Especially that the maroon had somewhere to hide from the Black Devil Damsel.

In the last couple of days the fungia has been looking distressed, it has not been fully extending it's tentacles. So I removed the fungia from the display, hoping the clowns will host in my anenome or hammer coral.

I have found the maroon has gone missing, maybe without the corals protection gone the damsel has finally killed him ?

The interesting thing is where has the fish gone ?

Would my CUC totally finish off a dead fish in approx. 6 hours ?

Do dead fish float, and maybe the fish is in the skimmer or plumbing ?

Hi Warr -

Perhaps a few suggestions - usually, I found that dead fish don't go up to the surface (float), but rather drift in the current. So, you could have a look at what the currents in your tank do, and then see if you can follow it.

Many times one think that your fish have died, when they are just hiding away. Give it another week or so before declaring them "dead".

And, YES - it is in my experience that one's clean-up crew (especially the hermits) could clean off the meat from a dead fish's skeleton very quickly. That, together with the working of the bacteria, would and could make the fish dissappear.

Another thing that I have seen before - if the fish becomes sick, and you have a nemmie, the sick fish usually ends up being food for the nemmie. Especially if the nemmie is in the water's currents, and the fish drifts in the current.

So - those were my possible if's and but's.... :)

Hi Warr -

Perhaps a few suggestions - usually, I found that dead fish don't go up to the surface (float), but rather drift in the current. So, you could have a look at what the currents in your tank do, and then see if you can follow it.

Many times one think that your fish have died, when they are just hiding away. Give it another week or so before declaring them "dead".

And, YES - it is in my experience that one's clean-up crew (especially the hermits) could clean off the meat from a dead fish's skeleton very quickly. That, together with the working of the bacteria, would and could make the fish dissappear.

Another thing that I have seen before - if the fish becomes sick, and you have a nemmie, the sick fish usually ends up being food for the nemmie. Especially if the nemmie is in the water's currents, and the fish drifts in the current.

So - those were my possible if's and but's.... :)

Nice suggestions.

My nemmie is a little small, still battling on 1c size pieces of whitefish

poor fella, bashed to pieces by a black devil, find a place he is happy and safe and then that gets taken away. Find himself alone and drifting with no home and no friends:(

sounds like he needs a new home.....

poor fella, bashed to pieces by a black devil, find a place he is happy and safe and then that gets taken away. Find himself alone and drifting with no home and no friends:(

sounds like he needs a new home.....

Where ? in fishy heaven :lol:

haha, i wanna hear your daughter CRAP on you for his demise, she digged that little guy LOTS. You in deep putty there mate!

haha, i wanna hear your daughter CRAP on you for his demise, she digged that little guy LOTS. You in deep putty there mate!

I have already been thinking of the story, about going back to the sea or fishy heaven et. etc. :lol::lol:

crap man.lets hope you find him....mines went missing months back,but the body wasnt recovered.he use to get busted up by the other guy

OK, found him, hiding under a montipora. You think the monti will host it :whistling:

man not only do u guys love to inject lethally, you invent ways to murder cute little spotted fish which YOU placed in the tank, and then when a little clown gets a little camera shy and hides out a bit you pronounce him dead! :( and you keep marines WHY???

just pulling your chain

Warr: Hope that domino doesn't turn out to be as hard to catch as my fish are :whistling:

those little guys can really cause havock in a system.im not introducing any Damsel other than Chromis once my tank has been relocated

A reckon damsels should be banned from the marine trade, they are not pets, they are demons, FME

Back
Top Bottom