Missing cleaner shrimp

Reaction score
My cleaner shimp disappeared in December while I was on holiday. I bought another one on friday... and it has disappeared too. I have not seen it since.

I think it's a gonner cause cleaner shrimps do not normally hide away. I have a large fireshrimp which is fine and my tank and livestock look great so I know its not environmental.

I do have an unidentified crab which I cant catch... Do you think that this is the culprit? I have no other livestock that would eat a shriimp except for a large anemone.......

Any idea's?

Acclimatised for 1 hour using the drip method.

Crab is about the size of a R5 coin.

Other livestock:
Jananese Tang
Yellow Tang
Carpenters Wrasse
4 Chromis
2 False perculars
Fireshrimp
Blue cheek Goby

Acclimatised for 1 hour using the drip method.

Crab is about the size of a R5 coin.

Other livestock:
Jananese Tang
Yellow Tang
Carpenters Wrasse
4 Chromis
2 False perculars
Fireshrimp
Blue cheek Goby

Nothing there (never heard of Japanese tang though)

The acclimatisation process needs to be over 6 or 6 hours though - i think i outlined it in your other thread, it does depend on the difference between the water at the lfs and yours but, think of it like decompression stops after a deep dive - if you rush them, you risk serious injury or death.

6 hours??? I have never done it that long for any livestock. Thanks for the info.

Japanese tang's more common name is a Naso Tang. (was sold to me as a japanase tang)

All inverts need a similar time for acclimatisation, over night is easier if you can drip feed so the overflow goes back in the sump.

How big is your tank, out of interest

cant do overnight. I dont have a sump

My tank is 3ft... approx 200L

Ok, well you will still need to acclimatise over several hours.

To be honest, both the yellow and the Naso (lipstick tang) will quickly out grow your 3ft tank - the naso can grow to 10-12 inches (300mm) and will get very stressed.

Ok, well you will still need to acclimatise over several hours.

To be honest, both the yellow and the Naso (lipstick tang) will quickly out grow your 3ft tank - the naso can grow to 10-12 inches (300mm) and will get very

stressed.

I have to agree, both those fish need plenty swimming space.

Thanks - I am ware of that.... will keep an eye.

They are not large and I dont have a lot of live rock so there is a lot of swimming space.

I plan to upgrade tank size or I will sell them.

They are not large and I dont have a lot of live rock so there is a lot of swimming space.

Upgrade, i like that, great idea - how big? 2m+? how soon, can you start the planning now:whistling:

No no dont sell them, tell the wife that they need more swimming space and its your duty to supply it;)

yeah 2m would be great:thumbup:

Yeah I am sure that would work.... she loves the yellow tang;)

It shouldnt cost too much to go 2M. Dont need skimmer and sump so just a few more lights and the actual tank and stand....

My anemone is also growing very quickly and will soon outgrow my tank and I am not giving him up... nursed him to full heath.... very proud of him.....:)

As much as we would like to see you upgrade, please make sure you sort out some kind of backup power first.

They only thing I a concerned about is the cold in winter... I have an organic tank so I am not worried about no skimming etc...(I dont have one).

I have a battery powered air pump for circulation if needs be.

It shouldnt cost too much to go 2M. Dont need skimmer and sump so just a few more lights and the actual tank and stand....

My anemone is also growing very quickly and will soon outgrow my tank and I am not giving him up... nursed him to full heath.... very proud of him.....:)

That's the spirit, good man:thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi Darren! THAT's THE WAY TO GO! So glad to hear that you were able to nurse the anemone to health!

Back
Top Bottom