Misguided information

Discussion in 'SAMS Aquarium' started by iamavibe, 31 May 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamavibe

iamavibe

I was not going to post this, but after my last finding I actually can't let this go. You would think that if a person who is working there, or hey even managing there, would give you honest answers about their products...
    Last week I went in to find a new fish for my 250L tank, I already had a couple fish in there and was looking for something new. I spotted the black ghost fish (an adult) and spoke to the people there for a good ten minutes about what my tank was and my setup and was told that my tank would be more then enough space for him and that he wouldn't grow any bigger, well I went home and found out that everything I was told was very far from the truth. But hey people make mistakes right, so I e-mailed them and was told I could bring back my ghost knife fish and I thought I'd give it one more shot. I decided to get a couple plants with the money I got back from the fish.
    See this plant:
    [​IMG] this plant is called a purple waffle plant and is found.... in your garden. Amazing.

I'm very shocked with what I have noticed since I have actually gone out and done some research with what I am told from there.
    What I am more shocked at is that if they are selling fish to people that they know have a tank that won't fit the fish, they are knowingly selling a fish to die painfully... kinda like selling a giant schnauzer to a person keeping it in a closet.

So unless something changes drastically I wont be back.
    Yes they have the cheapest prices, but hey I don't mind paying a little more for a product that can actually live inside a fish tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. marine101

marine101

Ime black ghosts grow slow, so depending on the size, its possible to keep in a 250l. When it gets bigger u can always sell it to numerous willing buyers. Im assuming that u bought a small one as is common. Not sure with the plant thing?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. frans

frans

Welcome to Sams, all they are interested in is making a sale!
    My friend Annamarie had a beatiful nano and they swore blind she could add a Box fish!
    Guess what, next day everythin but 1 clown dead.

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

6. mookz

mookz

I Agree, i have had endless problems with them....Buying "compatible" fish waking up to an empty tank and a very large "compatible fish"...Broken units, the wrong products in boxes labeled for another product....being told to drop my marine tanks salinity down to 1.010 to give them better color and to make my tank happier???!!!!!
    Selling us a "special" then phoning in to find out that you have been sold the cheaper unit as what was advertised.
    Buying light units for soft corals and being told that it is the best, it breaking after a couple of months then offering to refund it for half the price, then finding out you payed for double the price originally and being told that staff miss labeled the boxes....Buying stuff on debit.....driving home getting a sms to inform you that you have been over charged....i can carry on and on about this, but to put the cherry on the cake is having to see tanks (in their display tanks)of brackish water fish dying even after you explained to them how to care for them (even givning detailed instructions)....i have counted hundreds of "fresh water puffers", monos, "freshwater lion fish", "fresh water morays" dying in his tanks....sorry for the rant...and if i get banned for knocking a sponsor so be it but this has to stop!! or at least be soreted out!

Please people check things first do not trust all LFS's it breaks my heart to see so many animals dying and people being ripped...i regret having taken so many friends, employers and clients to Sam's and being ripped like this. :(

Last edited: 31 May 2009
  7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

No one will be banned but i need to ask anyone that posts here - be sensible what you write, if this ends up as a flaming exercise it will have to be removed.

8. brentnorm

brentnorm

The first time you are misled it's their fault, but I am afraid the second time it's yours.

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

guys its on you to do your homework before buyin anything. impulse buys result in a lot of deaths when we don't know what needs our livestock have. as far as equipment goes its another story. so if an lfs tries to sell you things you know they should not sell you shame on them. but we've heard these stories time and time again in multiple threads, and its when we don't know any better that we are easy targets.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. brentnorm

brentnorm

There is so much information on the Internet so take a little time to do some research and remember you can always ask all the knowledgable people on MASA.

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

just a Q has anyone tabled these problems with the sponsor in question? were these net based sales or walk in? i assume walk in from all the CT users responding.

12. mookz

mookz

Their is a huge difference between being Mislead and fraud.
    Also people "trust" LFS's as they do not know that much nor do they have internet, i see them selling kids things like GSP (green spotted puffers), and are told they are safe to keep with other fish...after the first day or two, it will kill/eat all their other fish and then later die from organ failure,finrot or white spot from being in freshwater.

13. brentnorm

brentnorm

Perhaps this is a problem you should take up with the LFS itself presuming you did not try that route first.

14. mookz

mookz

Walk in.
    Personally, when i have confronted the problems I am made to feel like I have made a mistake, or that it is somehow my fault, or I get ignored.
    And always excuses, then they try and get you to buy something more expensive to replace a faulty unit.Only after about an hour you get a refund if you are lucky - if you refuse to buy something more expensive.

Its annoying as i spend a lot of money there.

anyways going to stop b1tchin now lol
    But animal cruelty is NOT COOL!!

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Hey boet i agree but so much aggression...come on it is up to the individual to decide if he wants it or not...i totaly agree that they are ripping us off, but geez guys why act like this...
    Yes he is a sponsor and yes he mite be making a quick buck but geez i do not agree with this if you do have a problem with his service then approach him face to face, before exposing the guy here on the Forum.
    I to buy quite a bit at Sams aquarium and not all the time he is what you make him out to be.
    Come on guys thr are plenty other LFS to support if you do not like to support him.
    thnks

16. mookz

mookz

Sorry man no aggression intended, i totally agree that it is up to the individual to decide.
    I was only saying what has happened to me personally, i know of other people with the same experiences.....so lets just say I am bringing it to the individuals attention, so that they may double check what they have purchased and not rely on someone "who is out to make a quick buck".

p.s. i have confronted him

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Guys - I just want to give you my input:
    I too buy there. BUT, I do NOT ask for advice. I just believe that the onus is out on me. And then I only have myself to blame.
    BUT, one thing I do NOT like, is if I purchase some very expensive lifestock, and it then does not even survive the acclimatization.......

That, I take very strong exception to......

Dawie002 likes this.
  18. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Well i am sorry if i brought it over so harsh...

But i to have been bitten thr but i do air my frustration with him...

And i do know how you feel most of us has been bitten and we do need to advise others...

And respect pal for confronting thats the way to go

19. Manic

Manic Moderator

I think I've still seen the worse. I once saw a rock completely covered in red bubble algae (marble size ones). When I told the owner of the LFS he should take it out the tank to avoid it spreading, he kinda told me im an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about. The rock was for sale for R400 and was marked as red bubble coral. It was sold by the next week to some poor guy who's gonna have bubble algae forever now.

All I can say is research and not impulse is key...

20. scubaninja

scubaninja

wow manic that has to be the worst thing yet. sheesh. you sure it was bubble algae though? never knew there was a red version. ha it must of sucked to be the guy that bought that rock:(
    Posted via Mobile Device

21. Manic

Manic Moderator

I'm sure. Been fighting the stuff for two months. Think I've finally won the battle.
    It was bubble algae though. Could even see the spores in it. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

This isn't my tank, just some pic I found on the net. Mine never got this bad.

Recent Posts