Mischif's Tank Build

Reaction score
Hi all,

Finally, I am able to start working on my 1.5 display tank, I've been wanting to do this for a while but due to first stabilizing the house's foundation (Centurion problems :m29:) and then doing renovations we had to put this on hold.

I have a 150x60x60cm (I did round up a bit) which I bought second hand that I have decided to rebuild the display tank using low iron glass, I have already ordered the glass and everything is 10mm except for the base which is 12mm.

The only thing I am now unsure about is that the current cabinet is made from chipboard and while changing the door hinges this evening (as they were quite rusted) I was wondering if I should still use the cabinet or go for a steel frame.

The stand is still in good condition and I can see it was previously sealed though I would be applying a sealer again for good measure (Wooddoc Marine).

The one advantage is that the cabinet already matches the existing furniture, so aesthetically it fits perfectly in the house.

All in all, I just want to have a good sturdy frame/cabinet without having any fears.

I will be on leave from next week and will be using this time to put my display tank together.
A couple of years ago Riaan invited me to view his tank and explain the marine world to me (something I am eternally grateful for), unfortunately, I can't remember what we discussed with regards to the cabinet :m85:

Next, I would like to actually start (again) and actually finish a DIY project I started planning a while ago (even had a thread on this forum).

Reaction score
Do you know why they used chip board? Thought plywood would be better choice?

I have a large steel stand if you want to cut it to make it for your tank.

Reaction score
I have no idea hey:confused:

First, I need to decide what I am going to do but thanks for letting me know WK, will definitely keep that in mind.

Reaction score
Thanks Brentch.

Busy speaking to our welder to determine if buying WhoKnows stand and re-working it is an option or if we should start fresh (comparing costs and logistics).

Reaction score
I have no idea hey:confused:

First, I need to decide what I am going to do but thanks for letting me know WK, will definitely keep that in mind.
Maybe to cut costs? That's about the only reason I can think of...

Thank you. Appreciated

Reaction score
I would definitely go with a steel frame for peace of mind. A lot of freshwater tanks often use a wood cabinet but saltwater would be much heavier. Also if the chip board gets wet it's integrity and strength will deteriorate.

I had an old cichlid tank was chip board that I used for saltwater, and I could see it start taking strain after a while so had to start reinforcing it. You can also consider an aluminium frame.

Reaction score
@Trevs, would not surprise me if this tank originally started off as a freshwater.

looks more and more that I will be going to metal, just a few things to work out.

Reaction score
So that is something I am also wondering about, want to take some measurements tonight and see.

So the downside is that the welder has Corona, but his son might be able to help, just need measurements.

One question I have, with a metal frame, do you need a wooden board on top of the metal which you then put your polyethylene or polystyrene on top of?
On a 1.5m tank is one brace in the center of the frame sufficient?

Reaction score
One question I have, with a metal frame, do you need a wooden board on top of the metal which you then put your polyethylene or polystyrene on top of?
On a 1.5m tank is one brace in the center of the frame sufficient?
Polysyrene is glued stight onto the metal and then tank sits on that.

And yes one is fine front and back. I know a mate of mine has his like that on his 1.5

Reaction score
If you don't want a guy to weld something you could always assemble an aluminium frame inside your existing cupboard. I used these guys for my hanging fixture, its great, you just send them the measurements, they cut to size and you buy these screw-in brackets to easily connect the corners. It's a simple DIY solution and can be very sturdy. If I'm not mistaken some of the Redsea tanks come with an aluminium frame that you assemble for their cabinets.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks @Trevs I will look into this as well.

Another question (I'm full of them), how bad are overhangs?
What I mean is, you have a base on top of a frame that the tank sits on, but the base protrudes the frame?

current cabinet protrudes at the front 7cm and on the side 6cm, back is flush, if I landed up having a frame of sorts inside the cabinet, would it be an issue if the base and the tank protrudes over the cabinet's side walls and front?

Reaction score
I don't think it will be an issue as long the weight of the tank is evenly distributed over a flat base that the actual glass is sitting on.

Reaction score
Theres a place called DIYGeek they sell Extruded Aluminum think of it as Legos for adults you can use this for a frame Than from Tidal Gardens used this recently for his new buildings frag tanks and it looks really clean. I myself am using this to build a DIY T5 Hybrid light :p when it comes to steel make sure to get it powder coated cause most paints will flake and show rust pretty quickly since Salt water is corrosive

Reaction score
Thanks @Trevs I will look into this as well.

Another question (I'm full of them), how bad are overhangs?
What I mean is, you have a base on top of a frame that the tank sits on, but the base protrudes the frame?

current cabinet protrudes at the front 7cm and on the side 6cm, back is flush, if I landed up having a frame of sorts inside the cabinet, would it be an issue if the base and the tank protrudes over the cabinet's side walls and front?
I have wood overhangs on all my stands. Never had an issue. Most tanks have been set up this way more then one year. Even the stand I'm selling was designed to have an overhang under the tank.

Top Bottom