Minimum tank size for Tangs

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nizaam, 5 Jan 2011.

1. Nizaam

Nizaam

What is the minimum size(l x b x h) a tank should be to keep tangs(Regals, yellow, mimic, etc)?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

BIG! LOL!

A regal get's to 40cm... I know you've seen regals in smaller tanks, but they need to be caught when they reach bigger sizes and swopped for smaller ones... I'd recon 1.5m - 1.8m at least for a regal...

Just remember that it's a mission to catch fish in a tank full of live rock...

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

It isn't as easy as just tank size. It also depends on scaping, how much live rock you have, open swimming space in the tank.

5. Nizaam

Nizaam Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
    I'd rather ask a silly question than make a stupid mistake ;)

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I have a yellow tang in my 250 litre, and he is great. Loves all foods I give him/her, but also loves the the macro algae and caves is my LR. That's my 2 cents worth, use it, don't use it.....:p

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  7. crispin

crispin

no such thing as a silly question fella, we all ask them and thank goodness people answer them else id never have learnt as i am forever asking silly questions:p

i generally like to research each fish i buy and often the best to see what sort of conditions they need is to google the fishes latin name and see what it throws out at you. but for quick refernces try a site like www.liveaquaria.com or wet web media *brilliant resource even if technical* and although they quote aproximate tank sizes in gallons generally you can take what they say as a good idea and build on from there.

so for a hippo tang plan on 125 gallons ;)

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

To quote tank size is still not very accurate though. I can have a 200g tank completely filled with live rock which will provide no swimming space for any fish. It really still depends on volume of open swimming space.

9. Seabass

Seabass

Ok, so a 430 liter dt with 20 kg live rock, say 410 liter for fish, any tang ok in this?

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Yip I agree with manic, even a 4ft tank with 3kgs of LR in the display will have a lot of swimming space
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. magman

magman

imo a 4ft it is not really the swimming space, it is more a problem where fish can get overcrowded very quickly. Also depends which types of tangs, some get massive. I think the zebrasoma's are probalbly the smallest except the sailfin, their tempers are not the worst, the bristletooth are the smallest, but they have rabies with any new fish once they settled. Not just swimming space imo.

12. Junz

Junz

I think a 4FT would be the bare minimum

13. Manic

Manic Moderator

I have a 4ft tank but it is 800mm wide, does that count?

14. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i reccon depending on size.

if they them tiny regals, i would house him in a quite small tank first and then move it......i done the same with mine as past experiance has made me learn that small fish are quick food for the system with large powerheads.

if you buying to house and not move (direct into main display) then buy the size accordingly............4cm fish minumum 4ft.

i have not seen many aquarists with regals larger than 12cm.......which id reccommend a 2m tank for

but if you buy a 4cm fish.........you will have him a good couple years before he needs to be moved from say a 6 ft tank.

people may call the tang police for me saying this.......i could care less....i have enough experiance and years in this trade.
    those small tiny regals that we often find at the lfs........best place in my opinion to keep that fish until right size would be a JBJ nano or BOYU NANO as it has sufficiant means to raise the fish from juvenile to adolescent without letting it get stuck in crevices, sucked up into pumps etc etc.

when juvinile is nice and fat, move him to nothing less than a 4ft

Last edited: 6 Jan 2011
  15. crispin

crispin

that marco is taking the massive assumption that people have a second larger specially designed tank to place a fish in once they out grow the tiny limited space u advocate them placed in. If people are hobbyists its very very rare to find that they have the luxuary of a spare larger tank, which doesnt have a larger regal tang in it already.

so if you are worried about people buying small tangs that cant cope with the water flow in systems, why dont you rather advocate that people purchase applicable fish to the systems that they have? it would in my view be prefable to get a tang that can grow into the system that I have rather than get one that will OUTgrow the system that its placed in.

16. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

you taking the HUGE assumption that the fish will live that long.
    unfortunatley crispin this is the marine trade.......and regal tangs, yellow tangs and clown fish are at the top of the most purchased list.......sad as it is smaller sells quicker!
    im not saying the small regals cannot handle flow........im saying generally they seek refuge near powerheads for some strange reason.....one minute they alive, next minute you find them suffocated, sucked up against the water intake of a powerhead....
    larger system means larger pumps = higher risk for small fish.

i have had this happen to many fish in the past in holding tanks with streams on
    (juvi yellow tangs, gem tangs, regal tangs) sucked up in the pumps.

im actually on your side here saying .....buy the right size fish to accomodate the system.....ie by a small to medium regal for a 4-5ft tank and watch it grow.....or buy a large regal 8-10cm for a 6ft + tank

lets be honest......how many aquarist do you know have a 40cm regal in a hobby tank???

lets be honest about this people who own nano's.....generally have larger tanks.......or are aiming towards one or want one......this is why i say.....tiny regals....tiny tank.....better chance of surviving, and easier to medicate as they seem to be white spot factories even in ideal conditions:)

17. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

my 2c, bought a regal bout a year back, was about 4cm and now around 13cm in my 4ft, sharing with a Yellow & Scopas and a few other guys..... everybody is happy and doing great but I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to a 5 or 6ft in the very near future....

18. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Just like the rest of us, you're using the fish as an excuse to upgrade. :lol:

19. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

shhhhhhhh.... my wife sometimes reads here......;)

Recent Posts