Minimum quarantine time for new fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ziguri, 29 Sep 2014.

1. ziguri

ziguri

Around the 18th or 19th (Thursday or Friday, 1 and a half weeks ago) I bought a small foxface and a small sailfin tang. The foxface seemed very stressed for the first day or two, but it started eating well etc eventually. The tang was doing extremely well tbh, was eating very well and ate almost anything i fed. I have been feeding them brine shrimp with garlic as well as Formula 2 flakes, chlorella flakes and marine plus flakes. Last night they did not eat and when i came from work this afternoon, i found the tang dead :( . The foxface is just hiding now and wont eat either.

QT was dosed with a 15mg/l dose of Chloroquine Suplhate the day it was set up. Im worried about the foxface and was thinking of moving it ti the main tank, but u really dont want to be introducing any unwanted parasites or diseases into my system. Ive been extremely careful up until this point what i add to my main tank and my fish have been doing brillianly.

So, my question is, will i be able to move the foxface to the main tank right now safely, or is it way too early to do so. I dont want the poor foxface to stress in the QT, but dont want to expose my other fish to possible catastrophe either. Any advice or recommendations are welcome.

Id also like to point out, that when i first put these 2 fish in the QT, i could see "ich" like markings on the tang (salt like spots on the tail), but the dissapeeared quite quickly (i guess the chloroquine was at work) .

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nope.

Its just the normal live cycle of whitespot. they matured and dropped of the fish to form cyst. Another 10 days and you will have the next break out.

From where did the fish came from, obvious the LFS, but from where in the world were they imported. Philippines do still at times catch with cyanide and 10 to 12 days later they die of that. Pity yes.

4. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

No idea where my LFS got his fish from. Anyway, i found non-zero ammonia levels yesterday, so i did a small water change and the foxface has been eating again even though it is still very shy. Im feeding it some nori as well on a clip. I guess the tank was too small for both fish :( (50 liter) . Will keep on monitoring it.

I usually quarantine for 6 weeks. Could i get away with four, or rather play it safe?

Thanks

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

6. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

7. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Where do you get Chloroquine and in what form? Looks like an option in the future.

Thanks for the link, can you advised what dosage u used?

8. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

@Hammerhead I got it from the pharmacy in the form of capsules called Plasmoquine (Chemical name = Chloroquine Sulphate) . It is used as some sort of malaria medication. Apparently you need a prescription, but just tell the pharmacist that you need it for your fish :) . I have dosed between 10mg/l and 15mg/l . The Plasmoquine comes in 200mg capsules.

Also keep in mind not to have any lights running in the medicated tank, as well as no carbon

Last edited: 1 Oct 2014
  9. SteveZi

SteveZi

I would have started with a 3-5min freshwater dip, followed by 2weeks in a copper treated quarantine setup. 6weeks is way too long in such a confined space.

ziguri likes this.
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Check around for an old 90L Daro tank. They are cheap and works just as well. Plus gives a bit of length for fish to move in

ziguri likes this.
  11. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Will do

Recent Posts