Minimalist Aquascaping Idea's

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Neil H, 4 Jan 2010.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I thought i would post some pics i have saved over the last while while looking at many of the international forums..... there is a similar thread on reefcentral which many of the pics come from (hope no-one is too grumpy about me posting here)

I am interested in MASA opinions of minimalistic aquascaping and any pics of this sort of scaping ....

[​IMG]
    The original Bonsai inspired tank .... stunning

[​IMG]
    Love the combination of sps and NPS, but must be a nightmare to work under those monti's

[​IMG]
    A FW example of taking it to the extreme...

[​IMG]
    cyrstal white sand would look spectacular here

[​IMG]
    A room divider tank ...... absolutley amazing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the beginnings of something that could be awesome

[​IMG]
    Not sure how i feel about this one.....

[​IMG]
    would be spectacular with some NPS under the cave......

[​IMG]
    from Japan.... notice the different lighting for the deep water corals (40K)
    [​IMG]
    the acro's on the left

[​IMG]
    by its very nature minimal is not always natural, but this imo seems too unnatural

[​IMG]
    would love to see this one when it is mature

[​IMG]
    seems like a lot of wasted space under the arch .....

[​IMG]
    i think this has a lot of potential

[​IMG]
    I dont like this spiderweb look but love the black sand ..... mask :nono:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentv

brentv

...last pic has a Manta in the back of his tank...awesome!!!! ....not!!!!!

4. maj

maj

nice thread,iv been contemplating re scaping my tank.
    is it advisable to do now that i got some livestock in my tank?will shifting the rock create mini cycle?

5. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

maj .... it maay or may not depending on if there is detritus build up or not

No other comments????????????

6. crispin

crispin

maj started a thread with the question and i think thats been covered there.

i must say i always liked 'fuller' rather than minamilistic reefs, but the scaping i saw of bushmans tank made me really rethink that. he doesnt have a minimalistic look as such, but certainly less rather than more, but the 1m wide tanks help.

frankly some of the nicest scaping i have seen in a long time :)

7. LRS

LRS

Generally looks very good!

8. maj

maj

sorry for jackin the thread,i got answered on the thread i started

thnks ppl!
    aquascaping is realy a hard thing to do....never feels complete
    minimalist is the way2go

9. Adee

Adee

I like the look:thumbup:,

I've re-asquascaped a hundred times over. I tried to go minimal by taking out about 60 kilos of LR from my display, I only plant a rock if it has a coral attached to it, into my display. My problem now is that corals compete for space and the frags that I really want to get a hand on....there's now no space in the tank, I would have to remove some of the blander looking corals from my tank and stick to a fewer pieces.

Fewer pieces is cool, but then u should have the best colours money can buy and let them just grow. A tank like that would take years for decent sized frags to grow out to get a bit of that mature tank look.

Interesting to see all tanks (bar one) had a layer of sand substrate...I think if u go minimal, a nice clean thick white substrate is a must.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If the connection bridge between center and right hand stacks are removed then this would look nice. Just moving the big piece slightly left, creating an overhang. And remove the smaller piece that hangs in the air (water).

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

IF I may (and not to brag :p) I would like to add my scaping to this thread. The standard arch...

[​IMG]

The major advantage of this scaping type, is that you have PLENTY of swimming space left around the tank, by raising the liverock with the arch. I would have had minimal substrate left had I placed the LR on the bottom. The very left side of my tank is only three pieces of LR (weighing over 11kg's I must add)

A warning though: If you plan to go with an arch, make sure to account for the depth (heighth) of the tank. My arch leaves me with minimum (10cm max) space on top of the arch till I reach the water level. This makes addimg many coral difficult up there, as anything that grows high would maybe have a problem down the line. I have placed star polyps, zoa's and shrooms up there, and my NPS corals at the bottom, and under the arch. Just make sure to not this when you plan on scaping an arch. ;)

12. crispin

crispin

out of intrest jaco, do you support that arch with anything?

13. Jaco Schoeman

Yes Crispin - your favorite: PVC piping... (I know you like using plastic in tanks... hehehe)

What I did is; I took two 45deg bends and connected with 40mm pvc pipe that I drilled full of 10mm holes. This allowed me tie the Liverock down with cable ties (more plastic :p) and form the arch.

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

looks great Jaco

15. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thank you for posting a pic in this thread Jaco, this is exactly what i was hoping for .....

Most people who go for this approach say that there is more room for mounting corals.... although i imagine the preference would have to be for buying unmounted frags?

other advantages include places for NPS, more swimming place for the fish and a huge sand bed which is really cool for many LPS species.

the overseas guys tend to use epoxy and acrylic tubes ..... any comments on this

Jaco, did you place any sort of load distribution plate (egg crate etc) under the right hand side of the arch ?

16. Jaco Schoeman

Pleasure Neil. I have no experience with epoxy and acrylic, so I really can not comment. All I know is that if you plan on building an arch, you really should take physics and weight into consideration. If you "overload" the arch and it is not made of strong enough material, it might bend or snap...

One thing I must agree with you there, is that frags are easier to mount, although mounting ANYTHING is quite difficult as you have VERY steap angles. Most of the coral rocks just fall off, placing is quite a challenge. This type of design is EXCELLENT for things like torch corals, monti's etc, but due to the lack of flat areas, things like star polyps, mushrooms and the like stuggles a bit due as it can not get enough light at a 90deg angle.

On the distribution plate: However mine is not visible, I would STRONGLY advise on having one, as the weight of the arch will more than likely crack a tank. What I did, is get myself a round, flat piece of liverock (about the size of a saucer plate.) I then drilled holed in it, and in the bottom part of the arch PVC and tied them to one another. This piece of LR is burried in the sand (not intentionally) that why it is not visible. From the back view, you can see it though...

17. seank

seank

Looks almost like..........:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

So Sean - when we getting to see yours?

19. keyaam

keyaam

Those are some nice scaping ideas guys. I have browsed a few forums trying to get the ideal scaping. To make it easier for our MASA members can we perhaps start individual threads per tank size for scaping ideas. Most tanks go according to foot size so we will have about 5 Threads. For the insane people above 6 feet.. you can start your own thread to. Please guys only pics and size of tank for reference purposes only.

20. maj

maj

Great idea keyaam!

21. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

Some really great ideas... Wow!
    Hmm... I've got a whole different image of my tank now. Can't wait to start Aqua-scapping!

Recent Posts