Miniature Anenome

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Storm, 1 Apr 2009.

1. Storm

Storm

Hi there, 2 weeks ago I was given an anemone from a fellow reefer who "thought" that he could handle such a delicate creature. Sadly it lost its green tint and became bleached. Its a Bubble Tip anemone. NOW im faced with a small problem. It is smaller then a R5 coin. It doesant move in my reef which meens its content, but it refuses to eat, either that or its batling to grab hold as the tentacles are about 2mm each. Any ideas how i can feed such a small creature?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

chop up a prawn/shrimp into tiny pieces and use tweezers to feed very gently, ensuring the nem grips the pieces before he is robbed by other tank mates.

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Get fish roe and slowly blow it into it's tentacles with a turkey baster. You will see an instant response from the nemmie. Also the food is small enough to not allow any other inmates steal the food.

Do this a few times a week and it will get well again

5. Pete

Pete

good advice there war

6. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

War7207 What is fish roe? ive never heard of the term.

Edit: wait nvm went and Googled. Its Fish Eggs. The only Eggs I have are brineshrimp eggs. Could this work?

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hey Storm,

Go to the Fish shop/ butchery in Stirling, next to Nina's and the pool shop. Ask them for Fish Roe. They had quite a bit when i was there last week. Not sure of the price unfortunately

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

It would work, but very low in protein, which is why Roe is ideal (very high in good protein).

Fish Roe from my local fish shop is like R45.00 for ½ kg

9. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey storm, what you should understand with anemone's, is that they require certain chemicals touching it for the stinging cells to fire - thus sticking to the prey... If it does not "detect" these chemicals, it does not fire (hence the reason why clowns can stay in them...)

What I have found with my badly bleached anemone the first two days after not wanting to eat, is that it was not contracting (firing stinging cells) I tried to feed it frozen fish...

The moment I gave it fresh fish, it fired the cells, and after a day or two could detect the chemicals in the frozen fish, so I could start feeding it that.

Not sure if this really had any effect - the experts would know, but rather take Warrs advice...

10. Jaco Schoeman

Hey Warr, how does these get stored/ Frozen in cubes or what? If it is so high in protein, I might want to give it to my nennie too, but my nennie is about the size of a saucer... Will it take it, or do you suggest just continueing feeding it stint?

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

It is quite strange. You buy it raw in some sort of cellulose bag, like a sausage.

I keep it frozen and cut chucks off. My nemmies go insane if the roe touches their tentacles.

My main reason for Roe is my Goldies, so nemmie feeding is not targeted.

12. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Well, after standing for 2 hours and trying to get it feeding, it finally ate a bit of krill. Wish it would take lessons from my Retteri... Anyways gg tnx.

13. Jaco Schoeman

Hang on a sec...:arghhhh: You say you have a ritteri and now a rose bubble? How far are they from one another? You should be VERY carefull at mixing nennies. They have a tendency to engage in "chemical warfare" - releasing toxin into the water to kill the other off. They open up and close and open and close and goes on with this untill one can not keep up and then it dies... That might also be the reason why your rose bubble is not eating. Just watch out for this. I know some guys have more than one nennie in a tank, but then there is min 1,5m reef between them...

Recent Posts