Mini-MACSA, anyone???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Reef Maniac, 21 Feb 2010.

1. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi everyone,

During our Central SA meeting at the Free State university this afternoon, the thought came up that we would like to arrange a sort of "mini MACSA" workshop/conference here in Bloemfontein.

The idea is to start at (say) 14:00 on a Saturday afternoon, have some marine biology and chemistry lectures during the afternoon, have a braai the evening, have a few more lectures or discussions on Sunday morning and close at (say) 12:00.

The biology department of the varsity will host us (venue), and they will be able to give lectures on fish diseases, micro flora, marine biology, in-depth discussion on DLSB's etc. They should also be able to persuade one of their chemistry department colleagues to give us a detailed discussion on the chemical processes happening in our tanks (calcium, alkalinity, nitrate, phosphate, etc.)

I'm sure that we could persuade a few of our local (SA) gurus to chip in with an interesting talk or two - thinking here about Nemo's Janitor, Bob the Reef Builder, Alan, Mekaeel, Millepora, Leslie Hempel, Ed, Neil, Lanzo, etc. (What about a tank photography lecture from Ross, Rory or Sean ???) - who's volunteering???

The idea is to have a more informal setup than the yearly IMACSA, and to not make any money out of this - purely for the enjoyment and advancement of the hobby as a whole, and to specifically boost the hobby awareness here in the Free State. The only cost would probably be for the Saturday evening braai, traveling, and for your accommodation on Saturday night. Even that can be minimized, however, as we are all prepared to accommodate people in our homes (Vrystaat gasvryheid...).

So, what do you people say - good idea, or are we wasting our time...

Hennie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

GREAT IDEA!!!
    count me in!!! will help where i can, not sure my career is geared towards reefing but i can make a website for it :)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No - sounds fantastic Hennie. Anyone who are travelling, of a few Jo'burg people can definitely attend! ;)

Unfortunately, Cape Town is a wee bit far from "the centre of SA" ;)

5. colbar

colbar

I think it is a brilliant idea!! Are you waiting for a response first, and then you will set a date? Be nice to meet everyone from a different part of the land.

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

yup great idea Hennie. We need to do our own local thing expressing our experiences. Count me in, except 25 June to 12 July will be in the Red sea.

Now I am up for a negotiable sponsorship. MODS start planing. :slayer::slayer::slayer:

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Yup - just "testing the water" at this stage... not even sure if we will do it yet, but we are keen :biggrin:

Come on, we drove from Bloem to Cape Town for your IMACSA, you guys can make it - just need to start driving REALLY EARLY :whistling: Seriously, we could always put you guys up for Friday or Sunday night as well, if need be.

Thanks, Dallas. We never even considered a Website - that might be handy to confirm bookings, etc. Let's see how this shapes up...

Thanks, NJ. We will obviously need to plan dates, etc, but I don't think it wood be ideal to have it right in the middle of winter. September / October sounds like a better time of the year, but we obviously need to consider everything.

Obviously, we would need a decent response - say at least 30 or 40 people from out of town...

Hennie

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

sounds good
    Think about it, a bunch a reef crazy people going to varsity, to learn about reefkeeping. :)

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Great idea - I'd be interested in something like this - Just would be nice to go snorkling at an event like this as well... ahh well the way global warming is going - who know maybe by the time this comes around we interior landlubbers might just have a sea in our backyards! But sea or no sea can count me in - would be nice to meet up with everyone....

10. Reef Maniac

Oh, Bloemfontein does have a "Waterfront"... we will let you go snorkeling in the "Padda dam" :biggrin:

I thought about this during the night, and came to the conclusion that for us that would probably be over-kill. Say 20 or so "outsiders" and our 10 or so "locals" would be great, I think. It's not about numbers, but about sharing knowledge...

Can everyone interested please give an indication of when it would suit you - obviously we would have to plan a date which fits in between other major events (or should we hold it on the day of the world cup final :whistling:), but let's get some input on this. Oh yes, and on possible discussion/lecture topics.

Hennie

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Great Idea Hennie, you really shouldn't struggle to get 20 odd folk there.

12. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Sounds good. I'm in depending on dates etc.

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Great idea Hennie! Same with me, im in depending on dates. :)

14. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Ill be intrested if the dates work.

15. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Sounds great Hennie. I'm there.

16. robvdv

robvdv

Very nice, Hennie. Kudos to you! :) Sorry I can't make it.

17. colbar

colbar

Sept/Oct sounds super. Nice time of the year.:)

18. Reef Maniac

Yes, but we would prefer normal folks... we're odd enough as it is :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Hennie

19. lIghty

lIghty

Sounds good! keep us posted as I would like to try make it.

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

If I get early enough notice of a date - I'm sure I can try and make it - especially looking forward to the Padda Dam - maybe can bring back some food for my lions!

21. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Oh well that excludes about 85% of the reefkeeping community i know. No normal peeps in Natal.

Recent Posts