Urgent help needed Mini carpet got stuck in pump

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by SumthingFishy, 17 Jul 2011.

1. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy

Hi reefers

Hope Im not too late with this post, but I really need some help.
    Got a nasty wake up call this Sunday morning when I looked at my tank.
    Looked every where for the new mini carpet, when I discovered it got stuck on the cover of the pump. I switched off the pump to see if it wont move away on its own. But a closer inspection I noticed that about a third of the mini carpet was in the pump. And to make matters worse, I had to go in to work for an emergency and just quickly had time to save the mini.

Had the mini carpet since Tuesday (12/07/2011) and ever since was shy of the lights, was just hiding in the shadows and at back of the tank.

Had to cut a third off of the mini carpet and placed the mini carpet in a temporary bucket floating in tank.
    So far it is alive, but not sticky anymore and it cant get a grip with its foot. Its not looking too good, but when I prick it, there is a quick movement.
    Do I place it back in the main DT with pumps off for recovery? Or place it some where else?

Pump: Tunze nano stream (with default covers/grills)
    Lights: 4x 54w T5s (2 white and 2 actinics, 1x 30w LED)
    Water temp: 26
    Ph: 8.3
    Ca: 440
    Mg: 1110 ppm
    NO3: 0.25
    PO4: 0.5
    KH: 10
    SG: 1.024
    Tank is 10 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Do you have a QT that you can move it to, that would be the best move right now? If not leave the nenny in the container and check it again in the morning, replace the water in the container every few hours.
    For future referance the best way to handle a nenny in a pump is to switch the pump off and let the nenny untangle itself slowly.

4. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy Thread Starter

Hi Alan, thanks for reply.

Yes I do have a QT, but is already occupied with my fish. I did switch off the pump and the anemone did not move at all for about an hour. Next time will try a different approach.

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I think a lot of people are jumping on this mini carpet craze and not thinking about the fact that these are intact anemones and can and will walk if they are not happy. I read a thread where someone was boasting about buying 15 for his home tank...that's just looking for trouble if u ask me. People should really stop and think about everything that applies to normal anemones before going out and buying these things.

Not aimed at you sumthingfishy...just my observations and concerns. :p
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy Thread Starter

Your opinion and observations are welcomed.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

Sorry to hear about this man.. This was actually an initial concern of mine and is one of the reasons I never bought a nennie. Everyone just said they are like mushrooms and they hardly walk around. Guess we know now. I will have to keep a close eye on mine..

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Nenny proof those pumps.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I go a flower pot anemone, that went into the small 300L/h circulation pump. It was caught in the front grill, where you set the pump flow. Half way in. I took the cover off, and just let it be in the tank. After 2 days it got himself out, and moved to a rock. Looking 100% OK.

10. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

I did a bit of experimenting and reading on these guys.
    they are a nenny and will move to a spot they like thereafter they will not move, they do prefer to be on rock.

the mini carpet must be rinsed in iodine thereafter it can be placed back in the tank with pumps off until its foot is stuck or in a QT.

it might takes the mini +- 3-5 weeks to recover and start eating.

once it is sticky it recovered and will eat.

this is my opinion based on personal experience.

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Two slight errors there...first there is no guarantee that an anemone will stay put once it has found a spot it likes, I just sold my RBTA due to the fact that after a year it has started walking all over my tank again...if something changes in your system or irritates the anem its going to walk. Second it doesnt prefer rockwork its a Stoi, stoi's prefer to be on the substrate...it does like to wedge itself next to a rock face though on the substrate so in that regard its correct.

12. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

I have a RBTA which moves from time to time but the mini max is completely different.
    some guys starting getting the mini max for the past 2 months but there are a few luck guys that have them for years in S.A. but unfortunately not the same colours we get them today.

yes, wedge itself, also very true.

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Trust me I had 3 mini carpets they walk... All 3 were fine for 3 weeks then the one walked and they can move pretty fast too it went from the bottom of the tank to the top of the rock work over night. Lucky that one was being kept for Leslie and its not in the tank anymore. One of my other 2 has also started walking, granted not much but it has moved 10cm from its previous spot which it had been in for the past 2 months.

14. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

I have 35 new ones, some still move while others do not.

A friend had 1 in one spot for a few years, I bought it on the same rock and it did not move off until I tried to get it off and caused some damage in the process. this 1 might be from a different area and settles quickly.

15. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

all mine like where they are and have not moved since i have them.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

How do you manage to feed them all?:eek: .. Lol and I thought 4 were enough for me

not yet :p .. lol we gotta watch them

17. rakabos

rakabos

My two guys went roaming in the night lol, no idea where they are

18. Tony

Tony

Mine one has also crawled under a rock. From my observation thus far the darker coloured ones tend to like less light opposed to the yellows, blues and pinks/lighter coloured one as the lighter coloured ones are in full light and the darker ones have either gone under a rock or on a ledge where they can expose themselves and retract when they have had enough light.

They do pack a sting but they are not as dangerous as a regular anemone. A friend of mine has one next to a RBTA and they tolerate one another with no aggression.

I think these guys are quiete new to the SA hobby and more needs to be done to research them. There was an article in coral magazine about the mini carpets. Here's the link

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coralmagazine-us.com%2Fcontent%2Fmini-carpets-perfect-small-sea-anemones&ei=YPIjTq3EMOiHmQXcx7SYAw&usg=AFQjCNGUnW23x0ReeIPbD5XWQD6NoNqtcg

19. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

This is my feeling as well Tony...people are not treating them like anemones and are disregarding all they have learnt or know about anemone keeping and care.

20. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

How big is your tank that you have so many? Are these for propogation purposes or for your normal display tank?

21. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

@Kunhardt
    sorry for the caps lols, its a beeeegggg tank from what i have heard via the grapevine. for personal joy

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts