Min time for a tank cycle

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by flamming angel, 2 Nov 2010.

1. flamming angel

flamming angel

Hi All

I have recently been busy building a new tank. Now my questions are :

1. What should i use to clean the tank for all excess silicone smell etc to be removed so that it is ready for cycling.

2. How long should the tank cycle before additions.

Should i clean it using RO?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I recon, if you can smell the silicone, it isn't cured properly yet. Let it stand for about a week or so, then it shouldn't smell at all. Do a fresh water test on it to see if it's not leaking. That should allow you to rinse it out as well...

Min tank cycling time: 6 - 8 weeks...

Use RO just to rinse it... I wouldn't waste too much cleaning it.

Good luck and please post pics!

4. flamming angel

flamming angel Thread Starter

Thanks will post pics when its ready.

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi flamming angel. In terms of a cycle. It all depends on which filtration method you use.
    1.Synthetic salt, DSB and LR. 6-8 weeks.

2.NSW, DSB and LR 4weeks maximum. (because of the bacteria and life present in
    fresh NSW).

3. Bacteria driven system eg. Zeovit systems, the cycle is only two weeks.

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

With the Zeo method I started adding corals and that after 4 dyas, fish after 2 weeks and I never lost a thing. I did start with fully cured live rock though.

7. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Agreed with Mek. However I see you are in Sandton, so NSW (natural salt water) may not be an option for you.

What I would suggest, is that you try and get some of the reefers around you to give you the water they discard of after a water change... This water is full of bacteria, and low in nutrients (supposed to be)

Then, get very good quality LR, and lots of it. Try NOT to take it out of the water at any stage, becuase you will have die-off from sponges etc that is exposed to air - which causes ammonia etc that increases your cycle period.

If you run a DSB, get a cup or two of old DSB sand from fellow reefers, to seed your DSB with.

In short, what you have then done, is the same as having a old system, and then upgrading it to a larger tank or what ever, with all "old" stuff...

This will help a lot. Then, after two weeks, you do a large water change with synthetic salt to increase your trace elements etc and get the water "fresh" for corals...

3-4weeks max, then you can start with a hermit crab or two and slowly stock onwards from there...

8. flamming angel

thanks all for the insite. Some interesting and important facts.

@jaco - i have a tank that already has been running for about 2 years so i could use some water from there.

Am still getting the tank in place just need the stand and a few other things so i will def ask when im ready.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2010
  9. Mekaeel

True Manic. My one meter cube was filled up with NSW and all livestock moved over the same day without any losses. Now im talking lots of fish and SPS.
    Because bottom line. Zeolites aswell as the bacteria strain, prevents the build up of Amonia which leads to Nitrite and then Nitrate. As we know, it is Amonia and Nitrites that are toxic to livestock, especially fish.

10. Mekaeel

Please make sure the NSW is used up within an hour after collecting, else there will be die off and you will then have to let the water settle for a week or two before you use it. Also remember not to use the last 5cm or so of water left in the drum, as this is where the die off settles.

11. flamming angel

Thanks dude. I wont be using NSW then.

12. Boegie

Boegie

Not to highjack, but to elaborate on the cycle process. Most LFS's here recommend using Stability. I have started my new tank this weekend using Stability as recommended. I am going to wait 4 weeks before adding any lifestock. I only use cured liverock.
    Will I see any ammonia with Stability?

13. flamming angel

its cool boegie. Guess the more questions the more answers that i could have possibly missed.:)

14. Manic

Manic Moderator

With the Zeo method all I started with was zeoliths and stability. I added 15 fish after 2 weeks. Never seen ammonia, nitrates or nitrites untill I switched to the NP pellets. The thing with zeoliths is that they initially absorb ammonia and thus stop nitrites from forming and in turn stop nitrates. I'm not sure you will have the same success with just using stability though.

15. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

could some one please explain the zeo method to me. thanks

16. Mekaeel

Hi Boegie! No you will not notice an Ammonia spike using Stability. It works in the same fashion as most Bacteria strains eg, Microbacter7 where it kills of Ammonia and Nitrites thus preventing the build up of nitrates.

17. Mekaeel

Hi
    The zeo method is a completely different method of filtration. This method relies on Bacteria, Carbon, Zeolites, Acivated Carbon, heavy skimming. The idea is to achieve an Ultra low nutrient system. This form of filtration is best for SPS dominated tanks, where one is looking and aiming for very low nutrients. It is also not for a beginner but more for an experienced reefer. :)

Recent Posts