Mille's system

Reaction score
I have decided to take down my sps dominated tank and build another one in a better location, but is seems like a waste for me not to share some info and pics of how this tank evolved.
I have a 3 bedroom flat next to my house, which I have turned into my headquarters for my marine aquarium business. At the time I was forced to set the tank up in the only space I had left, the kitchen. I completely gutted the existing but small kitchen to make space for the tank.
You can see the old kitchen through the doorway.

1-1.jpg

I have ripped out the cupboards, sink, stove etc. The tank is to be set up where you see all that junk sitting.

2.jpg

Doorway bricked up.

3.jpg

4.jpg

I wanted to utilise the other rooms to house the refugiums, water change system electrics, chiller etc, so I needed to drill some 50mm holes through the walls. I got my mate Marc (Reefed Up) to help me with the drilling and laying a new concrete floor. The walls are thick and the work bloody hard. Reef Nudi had to keep us hydrated with many a black label.
Marc thinking he’s back in the army with his LMG

5.jpg

6.jpg

Getting my back into it (ha ha)

7.jpg

We did 7 holes in all.

8.jpg

The evil eye

9.jpg

We had to lay a new concrete floor as the existing floor was waaaaay out.

10.jpg

Layed plastic down and pushed the galvanised stand into the wet concrete until it was perfectly level.

11.jpg

Removed the stand and plastic to let it dry.

12.jpg

Epoxy coated the floor, repainted the walls and added a small basin in the corner.

13.jpg

Tank in place. All glasswork was done by yours truly.

14.jpg

Durso’s in and plumbed through the wall. At this stage my intention was to have the tank overflow into a 1000-liter plastic container in the next room, which would overflow though the wall again and into the sump under the tank. The 1000-liter container was meant for two reasons. Firstly to simply increase the total water volume of the system in order to make water parameters more stable, but also for something I believe all tanks should have, or would benefit having. A detritus settlement area. This is basically a tank or an area in your sump designed to catch detritus in order to allow it to be very easily siphoned out the system. I ended up not going this route because I wanted the space behind that wall for the water change system, so I redid the plumbing straight down to the sump area.

15.jpg

16.jpg

I then built my sump and installed an external Eheim return pump

17.jpg

I then added black abs sheeting to the inside back and sides. I purposely bent the corners to allow a space behind as I had a plan for the space. Notice some of the holes that we drilled earlier.

18.jpg

19.jpg

My ¾” Sea Swirl ready to connect to the return pump. I imported a lot of the equipment I wanted from the states and Europe.

20.jpg

21.jpg

Damn :/ Awesome thread... Look forward to the rest of it :)

Its about time we see this system, looking very good so far, glad to see Mark working for a change.

Geez talk about a cliff hanger. Thats rude Andrew. Give it a spin and then drop the ball. In anticipation

WOW nice mille, when you do something you do it properly dont you.

Last edited:
Atlast!...we see milles system.
Excellent work there mille!

Great thread !!!!!!!!!!!
Been dying to see how this all came together - Good on you Mille :)
Can see this wasn't a 2 day job, lots of planning and thought went into this setup.

Well if I remember correctly to stop trapped air from expanding and bursting the pipes during the plating process.

Back
Top Bottom