might be stupid question

Reaction score
hi guys....this might be a stupid question, im having an argument with a mate at the moment about seashells in a marine setup (i know they are bad for flow !), my question to the bioboffs is...all shells have different chemical compositions (thats why we have different colours, hardness etc)...could a lot of shells in a confined system not influence water quality.....i say yes ....he says no (tomato / patato)

Frans, the problem with shells in a marine tank is that it traps detritus, which causes high nitrates and phosphates. Therefore it is recommended to use fine substrate eg Aragonite or playsand.

I agree with Mekaeel. A lot of uneaten food and fish poo accumulates inside the shells and will cause water quality problems later on. Besides, why would one want empty shells in your tank? Rather get shells filled with a bit of snail or hermit :whistling:

nd if you ahve loads of spare shells which are really big, some over eager hermit takes it, lugs it around the reef and knocks everything over....believe me i know!

shells a nasty detritus traps and as for slowly breaking down and putting things into the water, rather dose with things you know you are missing, ca, or mg etc etc

Great advice for a beginner, but in my situation I encourage a certain amount of detritus due to the large clean up crew I have.

And they would starve if it were not for these little crevices collecting ****.

Great advice for a beginner, but in my situation I encourage a certain amount of detritus due to the large clean up crew I have.

And they would starve if it were not for these little crevices collecting ****.
ummm not maybe a thought to sell some cuc and keep better water quality :) :lol:

but for begoniers and as a rule of thumb i would say shells are far more bad than good

would play sand not cause allot of sillica to be released in the water.
which in turn would feaul unwanted algae growth?

Correct me if im wrong please!!

Since we are on the topic of sea shells. What are your peoples opinions on very fine crushed sea shells? (1-2)mm

i think the question was more directed to chemical make up. I dont think that the shells make up itself would add to the paramter levels of the tank but i would not know about it degrading, might increase calcium?

i think the question was more directed to chemical make up. I dont think that the shells make up itself would add to the paramter levels of the tank but i would not know about it degrading, might increase calcium?

Would do more good then bad if you asked me, crushed anyways.

would play sand not cause allot of sillica to be released in the water.
which in turn would feaul unwanted algae growth?

Correct me if im wrong please!!

Renier, why don't you start your own thread under new members and tell us more about yourself and your setup (if you have one) or what you want to do. You'll get a warm Masa welcome from the guys. I didn't see anything, but if you did it already, apologies for I am sleeping :p

Thanks guys ....obviously opened up a can of worms here...I agree regarding detritus build up.....im thinking calcium +++ over time as per scubaninja...just an interesting subject for me .....o ye i also like to discuss things (my wife calls it arguing)

Says ME MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

If you have hermit, I do think that you should have a few shells laying around for them to swop.. But then the question is how many shells do you want laying empty in your tank. I have about 20 hermits and about 6 emptly shells in my tank that they swop with all the time.. Is this a bad thing?

my hermis in my sump swap their shell regaler i think you must have a couple shells laying around for them as they grow to fit into an bigger shell

what about carib sea grand bahamas oolite....this is sugar fine but sold with tons of shells in it....

Back
Top Bottom