Midas Blenny acting wierd.

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and my Blenny was lying on the tank floor and not in his usual hole. he was kinda shaking. And when he moved away he Slithered like a snake along the bottom of the tank. He has always been healthy and does not seem to have any physical damage on him. This is really worrying me as he is my favourite fishy. Parameters are fine and the other tank mates are happy as can be. Does anyone know what is going on?

What does he eat ?

Have you got any nemmies ?

Any other predator fish ?

I feed Hbh flake frenzy. And frozen once a week. Got no predator's and no amenones. He isn't eating anything at the moment.

He's made his way back to his hole. He's not quite in it but at least he's home. I will wait till 2morrow and if he's still looking sickly. should i quarantine him? He seems to be breathing heavily.

Doesn't sound good. If can get into a hospital tank, more for your other fish than anything else, i would do it.

I've had him for at least six months. Surely a skimmer adds more o2 than any air pump? I have an empty 2 foot tank that i will put him in 2morrow if he aint looking right.

Hi Steve - sorry to hear. Perhaps dose some iodine to the tank - this can possibly kill off any nasty pathogens that might be in the tank water.
What EXACTLY are your water parameters? Could you please post them?
What "changed" in the last 48 hours? Did you do a water change perhaps? If so, from where, and what %?
Also - do you have more than one blennie type fish in the tank?
Did the water parameters change at all in any way? ie. water temp rise or fall? alkalinity drop or fall? pH drop or fall?

Blenny is doing better now. Didn't post for a while as my phone is screwed. He is swimming around every now and then but still isn't too interested in food.

The parameters that I can test are,
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate >7.5

Have not tested anything else for a while as I don't have the kits.

The only changes I can think of are the tank temp hit 30 degrees the day before.Strange thing is that my Rusty Angel and Cleaner Shrimp (which as far as I know are much more sensitive than a blenny) are doing great.

I have a lawnmower blenny in the tank as well but I doubt if he's to blame as the Midas Blenny is king of the tank.

I will check the ph tonight. I stopped checking ph a couple of months after setting up the tank because it stayed so stable

The only thing is now the blenny seem's to have a bit of a hunch back, and in freshwater fish this is a really bad sign.

Any idea's

Steve - the temperature can be a KILLER. So, it could QUITE possibly have been the water temp. Remember - the higher the water temp, the less the dissolved oxygen in the water! BUT, I am VERY glad that they midas blennie much better....

My Midas Blenny went down my overflow and into my skimmer.The skimmer pump stopped immediatly as the Midas Blenny was stuck in the pump intake. Luckily I was around when it happened and quickly dismantled the skimmer.I found him in ht epump intake pipe and put him back in the tank..Glad to say he is 100% healthy now.He did get injured though and was under the rocks for a few days...He recovered well and never goes near the overflow.He learnt his lesson...Funny thing is, that my overflow is not big at all, it is actually the flat glass pane overflow that Adriaan is now making on his new Idol Marine tanks...

Trad - WELCOME BACK, man! Been a while!

And no - 7.5 is not VERY HIGH. Lower would be advantageous, but 7.5 is not that high either.... soft corals grow better with nitrate levels a bit higher!

nope trad dont keep it higher than five,what he means is that soft corals use available nitrates so anything over 1 is regarded as available nitrates 0.0000000 is regarded as too low if you get what i mean.

Back
Top Bottom