MICROBE-LIFT/Special Blend & Microbe-lift Phosphate Remover

Discussion in 'EcoWorx Africa' started by dallasg, 2 Mar 2011.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi All!,

so i have a tank that was doing well and then phosphates and nitrates started to go out the window, phosphates were 2.5ppm and nitrates over 50ppm, so i tried water changes etc and no avail, but got hold of some of the above products on sunday and started adding, i am not one for water changes so i must say when i did the tests on monday eve, WOW my phos went down to 0.03 in 24 hours, i used salifert and seachem kits to confirm and my nitrates are also heading down, 30ppm.

these 2 products i recommend everyone keep, the bacteria had a pungent smell, but will def be using this all the time, and the phos remover is perfect for emergencies, maintenance and in my little nano's and breeder tanks.

heads up to Peckoltia and Henk for a great product!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Also having problems with No3, therefore I'm quite interested in it, could you please keep us posted if it reduces any further, thx

4. robertkukla

robertkukla

so where did you get this product, i want to try it out, my phos is also to high

5. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

cool, testing again this evening

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

wild on pets have it.

7. robertkukla

robertkukla

awesome thank you

8. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

Bought some at Wild on Pets about 2 weeks ago. Had Chaeto for years - first time ever it started dying back. Got my first SPS frags from Adrian about a month ago. During the last week I can clearly see some new growth. Also - skimmer not producing as much skimmate as before. I am using Special Blend with Vodka.

9. Tony

Tony

My experience with probiotics is that things got worse before they got better. My nitrates and phosphates also went up before they went down

10. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

All i can say is, not all probiotics are created equal. I have seen microbe lift work and it actually floors me. This is not something i would encourage, but have seen a tank set up to being a fully stocked reef in 48hrs, 2 months later no algae bloom and no losses due to water conditions. On another occasion I saw a wholesaler land a shipment of fish and drop 500 fresh water fish including 14 odd discus into 4 tanks on a central filtration system with a total water volume of about 400-500L, no losses due to water conditions, total losses of fish in those tanks was 8. The thing with the tanks at the wholesaler is it was a new bank of tanks and had never had fish in before, all he did was add the microbe lift the day before the shipment landed.
    From what i understand microbe lift has a composition of about 32 different species of bacteria all housed together , fully matured (adult size) in very high concentrations that are ready to go to work on your system the minute they hit the water.
    I have never been a believer in short cuts especially when it comes to cycling, but have seen this product at work and as i said it floors me.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2011
  11. Tony

Tony

Alan, that's what I experienced using Prodibio. The increase in nutrients was probably due to the breakdown of excess nutrients in the system already. I am currently using microbe lift but I have a low nutrient system already so I cant comment objectively on the product but guys are raving about it. I'll test it in my new system next week as I have some left

12. Jeann1

Jeann1

I also use Special Blend and its brilliant.

Its that good..

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I have used Special Blend and Nite-out. I would highly recommend both products. The rate at which they decrease nutrients defies logic.

14. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Hey guys,

Thank you all for the positive feedback. The response has been phenomenal and we are about to run out of SpecialBlend but not to worry, I have just instructed our freight forwarders to go and collect a special airfreight shipment of SpecialBlend!

Alan it is unfortunately only 29 species not 32. :D

15. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

hmmm i think imma gonna have to go shopping today :)

16. FransSny

FransSny

I am with what everyone is saying regarding this product (and personally for that matter the whole range of Microbelift products), these guys have been around since the 70's and have perfected the correct strains of bacteria, under the right conditions to provide optimum performance.

As Alan said although not recommended I have also heard of quick startups with very little (if any losses).

What I personally like about the product/s is ease of application, transparency of information by the manufacturer and track record.

As dallas said a big :thumbup: from my side as well

17. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

It's just a real pity that it's so bloody hard to find this stuff in Joburg. Whenever I go to Wild on Pets, it's sold out apparently?

But awesome feedback. I think I may have to go spend some money this weekend...

@HenkHugo - Do you have anything that will help with a brooklynella infection.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Other than the Herbtana and Artemis - no we don’t have any other reef safe meds. There are non-reef safe options like the Broad Spectrum Disease treatment but I am not sure how it will react to salt water. Here is some info on it.

19. FransSny

FransSny

Seems like it didnt post my first post :blush:

Malachtite Green & Formalin combo has been proven RELATIVELY sucesfull at treating Brooklynella (as with any treatment there are a lot of variables to consider). I havent used the Microbelift product offering personally but a few comments on treatment in general.

Should be used in a FW bath (I suggest follow instructions for duration, concentration etc)
    Aerate bath environment as formalin strips O2
    Keep fish in separate hospital tank for duration of treatment (hypo salinity conditions) to minimize stress during catching process.

So IMHO this product could work if used correctly

Good luck

20. B2048

B2048

Will this product help with the brown stuff (diatoms) on the substrate?

21. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Yes ask @Manic
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts