Micro bubbles

Reaction score
Hey does anyone have advice on eliminating damn microbubbles - they are so tiny they don't rise to the surface through the baffles!

Reaction score
Nope hadnt had a problem like that before.
Are your return pumps plumbed externally or internally?

Reaction score
They are plumbed externally but it's the skimmer making the bubbles.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Try putting a sponge around the outlet to trap them. You will have to rinse the sponge out often so it wont become a nutrient trap.

Reaction score
OK just modded an old weipro sponge to fit the outlet - seems to be much better Thanks

Muz

Reaction score
I had a problem with microbubbles coming in through one of my pipes I use to divert water direct to the return pump thereby reducing flow through the sump, I managed to solve it by plumbing the pipe to come down into the sump then make a 90 degree turn at the desired water level, this gets the bubbles to the surface much quicker.. Sometimes a plumbing solution is better than a sponge.. Alan, I have read that a sponge on a skimmer outlet is a bad idea unless you rinse almost daily is this true or just an exaggeration?.

Cooilo

Muz

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Alot of skimmers come with a sponge, even top of the range skimmers. I would rinse the sponge at least once a week.

Muz

Reaction score
Well alright.. the ring sponges find a new home.. shot!

Reaction score
Guys, are micro bubbles really a bad thing? I read during one of my late night reef surfing sessions that they assist with SPS growth.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if they are bad, but in my display they make the water look murky. Apon closer inspection I found that it's actually bubble.

Muz

Reaction score
Microbubbles go into the rockwork and build up over time which reduces water flow to the area as well as accumulate on corals which cause irritation, I will see if I can find the thread where I learnt this on WWM but in a nutshell after the thread I have ensured no microbubbles enter my tank at all..

Reaction score
ive got exactly the same problem millions of little bubbbles just sink and float its wierd bt u can get a lil funnel that cums of the outlet of the pump i think that u put on so ot rest on the top of the surface so the bubbles rise into the air. any more information on the bubbles or no