Micro Bubbles

Reaction score
I have this huge micro Bubble problem. Did not really have the problem in the previous tank. It looks as if it is coming from the powerheads and wavemakers (and no- there is no venturis on them) or they accumulate all the air in the water and then "spurts" it out again. But there is nothing in the sump area. The fine bubbles stick to everything, and if this is not enough, it floats all over the water column, so much so that it looks like "plankton" which makes photographing difficult and even worse- merely viewing the tank.

The pumps are all a couple of months old and some was used in my old tank.

How do I get rid of these bubbles ????????

Reaction score
how well submerged is all your equipment?it must be at least 1cm below surface to allow for water movement. if a strong ph or wm is too close to the surface the water may be sucked in faster than the surface can recover

Reaction score
It could also be that the pumps are "starved" for water. If, for some reason, the pump inlet or pipe leading to the inlet is partially blocked, of if the inlet pipe is just too small, the impeller will cavitate and cause lots of micro bubbles to appear in the water. If the pumps have been working without making bubbles for some time, and the bubbles than start without any changes having been made to the tank, I would suspect this to be the problem.

Hope you solve it soon.

Hennie

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I had the same prob when I upgraded the cls. It toojk 2 weeks and it sorted itself.BE PATIENT.

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Sean the bubbles is part of your cycle I think. It will get better Lets build that new fluidised filter next week.

Reaction score
The pumps and wave makers are well below water surface, at least about 200mm. The closed loop system was tested and I know it does not come from there and the pumps feeding the main display from the sump is also well under water level. One thing I'll look at over the weekend is what you said Hennie, it might be that one of the return pipes are too small, hence waterstarving. Will have a look over the weekend after water change

Reaction score
I also note in my sump when the water falls over into the return chamber it sometimes makes a few bubbles which get into the return pump...

Reaction score
First thing to do is switch off all the pumps and Wavemakers, let the bubbles dissipate, then one by one switch things on until you see exactly what item is causing the bubbles, then work from there.

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The closed loop system was tested and I know it does not come from there and the pumps feeding the main display from the sump is also well under water level.
How was it tested? if you tested it with normal water it does not count, sea water ok.

Mille has a good idea.

One thing we are never told it it looks like the feed to the CLS pump should be a bigger pipe that the outlet.

Reaction score
How was it tested? if you tested it with normal water it does not count, sea water ok.

Mille has a good idea.

One thing we are never told it it looks like the feed to the CLS pump should be a bigger pipe that the outlet.

Think That could be the problem, will check it out over the weekend